How UNICEF is helping
© UNICEF Somalia/2005|
A young tsunami survivor clutches his UNICEF-donated school supplies. He is standing in front of his home, which was destroyed when the tsunami hit the fishing village of Hafun.
11 April 2005
Key UNICEF Actions
Working closely with government and partners, UNICEF has:
Health and Nutrition
- Carried out measles vaccination campaigns and provided children with Vitamin A capsules to boost their immune systems. In the first week, UNICEF and partners vaccinated 1,728 children in and around the town of Hafun and gave them doses of vitamin A, followed by a tetanus campaign for women of child-bearing age.
- Provided school-in-a-box kits and recreation kits for 589 children.
Water and Sanitation
- Led a massive household chlorination effort to provide children and their families with safe drinking water.
- Distributed blankets, jerry cans, plastic sheeting, cooking sets, mosquito netting and soap for more than 1,000 people. UNICEF also distributed 1,050 family relief kits.
- Rehabilitated damaged shallow wells and built new water sources in temporary camps.
- Carried out hygiene and sanitation awareness campaigns.