How UNICEF is helping
11 April 2005
Key UNICEF Actions
Working closely with government and partners, UNICEF has:
Health and Nutrition
- Provided a one-year stock of essential drugs and mosquito nets to cover 15,000 people in the most affected families and communities.
- Supported efforts to reunite children with their parents or relatives.
- Provided emergency education supplies and recreational kits for the start of classes on January 4. UNICEF provided school supplies for 30,000 children, which included supplies for scores of children who were not immediately affected.
- Repaired 400 damaged schools, including essential water and sanitation facilities.
Water and Sanitation
- Provided clean drinking water supplies (jerry cans, water purification tablets, water pumps, pipes) and sanitation supplies (latrine pans, pipes, roofing, bleaching powder) to affected communities. UNICEF provided 9,000 people with clean water and 550 families with access to toilets.