Celebrities Supporting UNICEF’s Work in India
Globally, UNICEF works with nearly 200 Goodwill Ambassadors to increase public awareness of the rights of children and women and UNICEF's work in protecting those rights.
Celebrities in India (from the world of film / music / theatre / sports) have a strong national and regional appeal. Over the years they have played a significant role in helping UNICEF to create public awareness on children’s issues.
UNICEF in India partners with its ambassadors Amitabh Bachchan and Sharmila Tagore as well as key celebrity advocates who are committed to supporting the cause of children.
Some of the invaluable contributions by our celebrity partners include innovative Public Service announcements, participation at key advocacy events and media interactions to generate a discourse around key issues.
Here is the list of Issue Associations of celebrities supporting UNICEF’s work in India
1. Goodwill Ambassador: Amitabh Bachchan: Polio
2. National Ambassador: Sharmila Tagore: HIV stigma and discrimination
3. National Celebrity: Aamir Khan: Nutrition
4. National Celebrity: Raveena Tandon: Maternal and Neonatal health
5. National Celebrity: Priyanka Chopra: Convention on the rights of the child, Early Marriage and Adolescent girls lifeskills
6. National Celebrity, Nandana Sen: Gender based violence some facets of child protection.
7. National Celebrity, Sachin Tendulkar, Handwashing and personal hygiene.