Health Officer (Child Survival & Immunization)
Purpose of the Post
The incumbent will be responsible to contribute to the overall effort of Country Programme implementation at state level within the framework of National Health Mission (NHM). The incumbent will be accountable for providing technical assistance in strengthening routine immunization programme in the state of Bihar in collaboration with WASH, Nutrition, C4D, with focus on the high priority districts identified in the Call to Action in line with government guidelines.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Capacity Development:
a) In collaboration with partners specifically Call to Action partners in Bihar, and in respect of Government of India tools and guidelines, contribute in supporting the capacity enhancement of the state, district and block level health managers and supervisors in situation analysis, bottleneck analysis, evidence based planning and programming to accelerate RMNCH+A implementation for accelerating child survival and immunization.
b) Scale up implementation and increase quality of care for most deprived population: In close collaboration with development partners, support district Supervisors and resources centres in carrying out joint visit and supportive supervisions of the health facilities at all levels specially the ones with poor health indicators (coverage and quality) on quarterly or monthly basis as per requirement.
2. Building Partnerships: In the context of Call to action, facilitate collaboration with the state government, academic institutions, NGO Sector, private sector and other new partners to identify essential interventions and effective innovative approaches necessary for improved equity planning, and implementation, tracking and monitoring of Immunization Progamme, with special focus on cold chain management and vaccine supply chain, increasing social acceptability and demand of immunization, focusing on out-reach services that effectively reach the unreached children, and effectiveness of VHND sessions.
3. Programme Implementation: Facilitate UNICEF support to evidence based planning and budgeting using the results of the gap/bottleneck analysis, supportive supervision and consultation with experts, factor Behaviour Change Communication, WASH, Nutrition, HIV/AIDS intervention across the continuum of care.
4. Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation for more results for children and women: Coordinates with government in conducting routine monitoring, and in strengthening and using MIS. In the context of Call to action, facilitate and coordinate joint partners' field visits to monitor programmes inputs (including cash and supply assistance, activities and outputs aiming at overcoming bottlenecks of Routine immunization and subsequently increasing equitable coverage of routine immunization.
5. Coordination and convergence: Acts as a resource person on child health care services, especially immunization to colleagues and also optimize alternative opportunities for promotion of Immunization services. Assists in development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and/or advocate development of Immunization services to enable more effective change in key care behaviours related to logistics, maintenance of cold chain and Vaccine Management.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
M.B.B.S degree from a recognized University in Medicine. Advanced university degree in Public Health, Community Medicine, Paediatrics, Hospital Management and Health Management will be an asset. In depth understanding and knowledge of the maternal, new born and child health and development and nutrition sectors will be an asset.
b) Work Experience
Minimum two years’ experience at National/State level in programme development, monitoring and implementation of primary health care programmes including experience in field-based implementation. Prior experience of working in Bihar on a similar project/programme will be an asset.
Fluency in spoken and written English required. Knowledge of Hindi is highly desirable.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ I ]
• Drive for Results [ I ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
• Analyzing [ II]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
• Learning and Researching [ II]
• Planning and Organizing [ II ]
iv) Technical Knowledge [ ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ ]
• Professional technical Knowledge of theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas: Health, Public Health, Maternal and Child Health, Nursing, Family Health, HIV/AIDS, Social Work, Behavior Change, or a discipline relevant to international development assistance in Health and HIV/AIDS.
b) Common Technical Knowledge required (for the job group) [ ]
Knowledge of the latest theories, technology and practices in:
• Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
• Child and Maternal Health
• Public Health Behavioral Change Communication
• Environmental Health
• Health Education
• Educational Interventions in Health Care
General knowledge of:
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Knowledge of global immunization and child health issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current methods and approaches.
• Policies and strategy to address immunization and child health issues, including those relating to emergency, conflicts, disasters, and recovery.
• Emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
• Financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers and agency-wide programmes impacting on immunization & child survival results
• Knowledge and proficiency in the use of corporate office computer system applications and software, including LAN, email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, telecommunications.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ ]
• National Government development plans and policies
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
e) Other Skills And Attributes
- Current knowledge of development issues, policies, as well as social programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation in the area of health.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 24th December 2013.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.