Purpose of the Post
The incumbent will be responsible to provide technical support to the state government for planning, implementation, training and monitoring of the select health interventions for improved child survival, disease reduction and safe motherhood.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Capacity Development: Effectively deploy innovative training methodologies and effective methods for planning evaluation and designing of social communication interventions in support of the above; and facilitate the production and use of training materials. Provide managerial and technical support for health equipment management and maintenance system drawing upon the expertise of the states wherever possible.
2. Systems strengthening: Collaborate with the government to identify interventions and activities necessary for the improved planning, implementation and monitoring of young child survival, safe motherhood and disease control in both rural and urban areas. Provide technical assistance and support to the project implementing authorities in the effective conduct of identified and agreed upon activities. Develop plans for area-specific MCH interventions to scale-up maternal health services including HIV/AIDS prevention through PPTCT services as well as coverage with a package of interventions and disease control; and support the activities therein.
3. Knowledge management: Promote intensive and innovative activities in select districts to bring about qualitative improvements in health care development for young child survival, safe motherhood and disease control; support community involvement in health care; promote operations research in health. Act as a resource person on Health to colleagues and also coordinate as well as monitor the programme in the state; advocate for promotion of MCH and selected primary health care interventions through young child survival, safe motherhood and disease control.
4. Technical support: Provide technical, strategic and policy assistance and support to maternal, and child health interventions being advanced under RCHII + the National Rural Health Mission to government of Madhya Pradesh (at both state and district level) and development partners.
5. Technical Knowledge: Be aware of UNICEF policy and priorities, as well as the health problems of women and children in the country and of state/s, of services available to them with particular reference to young child survival, safe motherhood and disease control. Be updated of latest Lancet publications related to maternal and child health and be able to apply knowledge in programming.
6. Management (Planning, monitoring and evaluation): Undertake responsibility for developing project-specific work plans and activities, monitor and implement the activities which include conducting of workshops, meetings and training programmes; extensive field visits for review and spot checks, compiling progress reports and input-output statistics and analysis with specific reference to young child survival and safe motherhood including PPTCT elements of HIV/AIDS.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Master’s degree from a recognized University in Public Health, Medicine, Health Research, International Health, Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Family Health, Biostatistics, Socio-medical Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Education, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Educational Interventions in Health Care, Nursing or a field relevant to international development assistance in Health.
b) Work Experience
Minimum five years’ experience at National/State level in programme development, monitoring and implementation of primary health care programmes including experience in field-based implementation. Managerial and analytical skills are essential attributes.
Fluency in spoken and written English required. Knowledge of Hindi is highly desirable.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ II ]
• Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [I]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
• Analyzing [III]
• Relating and Networking [II]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [II]
• Applying Technical Expertise [III]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job)
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan.
• Knowledge in Health related issues.
• Knowledge of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes (e.g. PMTCT, HIV/AIDS,
malaria, WASH, EPI)
• Intermediate Technical Knowledge (at the graduate education level) of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas:
Public Health, International Health, Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Population and Family Health
Health Research, Biostatistics, Sociomedical Sciences, Epidemiology
Health Education, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Educational Interventions in Health Care
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ ]
Knowledge of theories and practices in:
• Child and Maternal Health
• Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
• Public Health
• Educational Interventions in Health Care
• Environmental Health
• Knowledge Management
• Health Education
• Computer software application, including word processing, spreadsheet and corporate
• Gender equality and diversity awareness
General knowledge of:
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies in Health
• Knowledge of global health issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current trends, methods and approaches.
• Policies and strategy to address national and global health issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• Emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ ]
• Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships.
e) Other Skills and Attributes (Indicate what other skills and attributes required, such as computer knowledge, management or communication skills, negotiating or training ability, etc.)
- Current knowledge of development issues, policies, as well as social programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation in the area of health.
- Managerial, analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
- Good training ability
- Knowledge and use of standard office automation applications related to word processing, graphics presentations etc. as well as Management Information Systems and databases. Knowledge and training on use of workplanning tools an asset.
- Ability to work harmoniously in an international and multicultural environment.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 24th December 2013. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.