Location: New Delhi
Purpose of the Post
The incumbent will be responsible for strategizing child health programs with equity of UNICEF and Government of India (GOI), drawing evidence and experience from the data analysis and field monitoring. He/She will also provide technical assistance to the GOI, partners and states to formulate policies, operational strategies and plans for planning and implementing child health programs with an equity perspective, in the context of continuum of care (RMNCH+A) and in integration with WASH, Nutrition, HIV and C4D.
Support resource mobilization for child health through preparing funding proposals and reporting. Advocate with partners for evidence based interventions and strategies to promote child health and equity, with focus on the public health approach with integration of WASH, Nutrition and C4D throughout continuum of care.
Documentation & reporting of UNICEF achievements for a range of audience: donors, program managers and scientific community. Coordinate capacity building initiatives for UNICEF officers and of partner institutions on child health issues.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Support, child health systems/situation analysis, gap analysis, and coordination systems related to child health programming within framework of RMNCH+A.
2. Assist MOHFW-GOI and state government in implementation of child health reviews, national and sub-national activities for strengthening new born and child health programs in India, including advocacy, planning and management support in integration with WASH, Nutrition, HIV and C4D. Assist in monitoring and evaluation related to child health programs
3. Provide consultation and technical assistance to UNICEF field offices and state governments on technical and programmatic issues related to child health (IMNCI, PPTCT, ARI, diarrhoea, care of sick new borns etc). Provide technical inputs for capacity building in child health at national and state level so the integrated package of services is delivered on equitable basis. Participate in designing methodology and materials for child health
4. Fosters partnerships for child health activities with government, other agencies, professional bodies, technical institutions and NGO networks to plan and organize capacity building and supportive supervision of health facilities.
Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation. Develop and implement strategy and activities at national level, and facilitate and coordinate them at sub national level, to strengthen capacity for evidence based programming of UNICEF in child survival and other health initiatives in the context of CTA.
5. Undertakes field visits to support in planning, implementation, monitoring of evidence based child health programs at state, district and block level aiming at increased and more equitable coverage of strategic interventions, as well as conducting periodic reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
Assist in monitoring and evaluation related to RMNCH+A in UNICEF lead states. Support district and block health managers in monitoring and supportive supervision of health facilities and community based health programmes Identify the needs and provide technical support and backstopping for interventions related to IMNCI, ARI, diarrhea, care of sick newborns and other aspects of quality child health service delivery in the UNICEF supported integrated districts in collaboration with WASH, Nutrition, HIV and C4D to ensure comprehensive packages of services are delivered on equitable basis.
6. In consultation with the Section Chief, NOD Health Specialist and other programme staff, represent UNICEF at meetings and liaison with the Government of India and other partners for newborn and child health programs
7. Provides technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing. Provides advice and assistance to government officials and other UN agencies and partners and bilateral governments in the planning and management of child health interventions. Contributes to the preparation of the child health Situation Analysis, compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information.
8. Participate in the development and monitoring of annual work plans, budgets, reports and performance reviews and requirements in child health. Assist in the creation of programmatic indicators and data for decision making at the high risk districts/blocks.
Take responsibility of coordination and interaction with POs/APOs at state level to analyze surveillance and monitoring data. Offer technical assistance to plan and implement state/district/area-specific efforts to guide integrated new born and child survival-related programming.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
MBBS with a Master’s degree from a recognized University in Paediatrics, Public Health or related technical field. Familiarity with the theoretical basis and the practical applications of public health principles, epidemiology and disease surveillance, as well as the planning and management of PHC services with particular emphasis on delivery of community and facility based services.
b) Work Experience
Minimum five years progressively responsible field work experience in child health programs required, including four years in developing countries. Previous experience of working within UNICEF or other UN agencies and in international settings, preferred.
Fluency in spoken and written English required. Knowledge of Hindi is highly desirable.
d) Competency Profile:
Competency Profile :
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ II ]
• Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [I]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
• Analyzing [III]
• Relating and Networking [II]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [II]
• Applying Technical Expertise [III]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job) [ ]
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan.
• Knowledge in Health related issues.
• Knowledge of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes (e.g. PMTCT, HIV/AIDS,
malaria, WASH, EPI)
• Intermediate Technical Knowledge (at the graduate education level) of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas:
Public Health, International Health, Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Population and Family Health
Health Research, Biostatistics, Sociomedical Sciences, Epidemiology
Health Education, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Educational Interventions in Health Care
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
Knowledge of theories and practices in:
• Child and Maternal Health
• Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
• Public Health
• Educational Interventions in Health Care
• Environmental Health
• Knowledge Management
• Health Education
• Computer software application, including word processing, spreadsheet and corporate
• Gender equality and diversity awareness
General knowledge of:
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies in Health
• Knowledge of global health issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current trends, methods and approaches.
• Policies and strategy to address national and global health issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
• Knowledge of the latest developments and technology in related fields.
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships.
e) Other Skills and Attributes (Indicate what other skills and attributes required, such as computer knowledge, management or communication skills, negotiating or training ability, etc.)
- Current knowledge of development issues, policies, as well as social programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation in the area of health.
- Managerial, analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
- Good training ability
- Knowledge and use of standard office automation applications related to word processing, graphics presentations etc. as well as Management Information Systems and databases. Knowledge and training on use of work planning tools an asset.
- Ability to work harmoniously in an international and multicultural environment.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 24th December 2013. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.