Closing date: 10th December 2013
Purpose of the Post
Under the guidance of the Programme Manager Lucknow Office, he/she will be responsible for facilitating and influencing the State Government’s evidence based policy, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and documentation for WASH sector plans and projects.
The incumbent will work at both the State and District level. He/she will also take leadership and sector specific guidance from the WASH Technical Centre of Excellence in New Delhi.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Influencing Policy and Building Partnerships: Analyses existing WASH sector policies and policy environment, governance and institutional bottlenecks, systems of management, risk allocation and coordination systems around WASH sector programmes relevant for children in the state.
Recommends corrective actions to be taken by the State office to improve efficiency and effectiveness of WASH sector programmes to ensure adequate focus on MDG’s and post MDG agenda. Convenes strategic partnerships to impact on overall children’s policies, to support WASH programmes and resources in the State. Interacts with national and international agencies and commissions, on the advocacy and management of policies/programme/projects.
Participates in meetings with Ministries/Departments/stakeholders responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements. Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation for replication by the State Government.
2. Work planning and Implementation of Plan of Action with a special focus on Focus Districts: Responsible for the development and implementation of a strategically well focused convergent WASH programme in the state leading to improved (flagship) government water and sanitation and hygiene education programmes and ensures compliance with specific assigned objectives.
Provides guidance and support to subordinate staff (TA’s, SSA’s, third party consultants) to manage and implement work plan. Translate technical and social sector developments at national and state level to strategic programming in the focus districts leading to improved conditions for women and children. Coordinates with the Operations/Supply staff/programme support on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability.
Certifies and reports disbursements and use of funds, as per UNICEF rules and procedures. Supervise and be responsible for the implementation of assurance activities. Writes programme/project inputs for donor proposals, status reports required for management Board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
3. Technical Assistance, Capacity Building and Knowledge Management : Provide technical advice and support to government authorities and state institutes to plan and organize capacity building programmes for community water management, water quality surveillance and response planning, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
Identifies training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of programme/projects. Provides technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing. Ensure critical gaps in information, knowledge and understanding relating to water supply, water safety, water resource management and sanitation and hygiene promotion are recognized and addressed by stakeholders in the states. Create interstate and inter-sectoral learning alliances, analyse, document and share best practices.
4. Research, Monitoring and Evaluation: Facilitates the review of systems and capacity related to delivery of services to children and the interventions to improve such systems and capacities. With guidance from the Technical Centre of Excellence, proposes designs for assigned programmes.
When agreed, prepares, implements, monitors and evaluates assigned UNICEF assisted programme or specific project(s). Analyzes and evaluates data and/or takes corrective action when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Contributes to and enables the concurrent monitoring and reporting on performance indicators of Government flagship programmes and /or UNICEF–NGO managed programmes under the Project Co-operation Agreement.
Integrates input/advice from the relevant Technical Centre for Excellence in Delhi. Supports/undertakes research that provides tracking on programmes of social inclusion.
5. Inter-sectoral collaboration: Proactively collaborates within state and/or sector with programme colleagues to give and receive knowledge and assistance. Pooling resources for more effective programming across the state. Assists in development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and/or advocate programme development.
Facilitates the planning and formulation of Behaviour Development/Behaviour Communication Change initiatives in state institutions (priorities are Health, Nutrition, WASH, & HIV Aids), to enable more effective behaviour change.
6. Emergency Preparedness and Response: Working with or acting as Emergency Focal Point to ensure that CCCs are met following a major disaster through strengthening of stratetic preparedness plans and capacity building. Facilitates mainstreaming of Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change initiatives in sector programmes
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Master’s degree from a recognized university in any of the following: Environmental Science, Hydrology or Environmental, Civil or Mechanical Engineering, Public Health or a related field associated with water supply, sanitation and hygiene behaviour change.
b) Work Experience
Minimum Five years progressively responsible professional work experience in social development and engineering, project administration, capacity building and training, monitoring and evaluation, multi-stakeholder planning and knowledge management.
Fluency in English and Hindi required. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station is an asset.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ] • Working with People [ II ] • Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [ I ]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Analyzing [ III ]
• Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
iv) Technical Knowledge [II ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ II ]
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF programmes.
• Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in the following areas: communication for behaviour change, WASH in schools, water supply projects management, monitoring and evaluation; integrated water resource management appropriate water supply and quality technology i.e. community based water supply.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ II ]
Knowledge of the latest theories, technology and practices in:
• Community based sanitation i.e.: hygiene education or latrine construction and waste management.
General knowledge of:
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for sectoral programmes
• Knowledge of global human rights and gender issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNICEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address WASH issues, including those relating to conflicts, natural disasters, recovery, disaster risk reduction and environment.
• UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan
• UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers and agency-wide programmes impacting on WASH results.
• Knowledge and proficiency in the use of corporate office computer system applications and software, including LAN, email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, telecommunications.
• Knowledge of global environmental issues that pertain to sustainable development and specifically relation to children and woman, and the current UNICEF position approaches.
• Gender equality and diversity awareness
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ II ]
• Government development plans and policies
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses, including the IASC Cluster approach.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNICEF policies, strategies promoting and supporting gender equality and diversity.
e) Other Skills and Attributes
• In depth and current understanding and knowledge of the sector
• Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
• Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
• A strong familiarity as to how public administration systems affect delivery of results for children
• Understanding of social mobilization and behaviour change communication
• Knowledge of computer management and applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Sensitivity to gender concerns and social inclusion
How to Apply:
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th December 2013. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application.
Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.