Help Desk Assistant
Location: New Delhi
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term (2 years)
Closing date: 10th September 2013
Purpose of the Post
Under the supervision of the IT Officer, the Help Desk Assistant will be responsible for providing technical support to users and solutions to IT problems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Ensure that timely and effective user support is provided on an on-going basis, by assisting in the operation and implementation of new systems and performing first and second line support functions. As Subject Matter Expert, ensure that end-user escalated incidents are timely resolved. Administer data security for and user access to network and/or facilities and troubleshooting ad-hoc or software problems experienced on the network or facilities.
2. Assist in the installation, configuration, maintenance and operation of the ICT Infrastructure such as Servers, Datacenter, Desktops, Laptops, Printers and other IT equipment, by regular monitoring, analysing and resolving the problems. Ensure all the equipment is secured against network threats, protected against virus and backup schedules are adhered to.
3. Coordinate and monitor the work of the outsourced helpdesk for the effective and timely resolution of problems while ensuring adherence to UNICEF IT policies and procedures. Provide technical assistance to field offices. Assist in drafting technical documentation as necessary. Coordinate and monitor hardware calls with vendors. Coordinate technical issues with HQNY.
4. With the help of the outsourced helpdesk, keep the Helpdesk Calls database up to date. Analyse and identify trends and root causes. Based on the statistical analysis, address the issue of reducing the number of calls in terms of spares, training, guidelines etc. Tracks and monitors incidents throughout their life-cycle, including verification and closure. Analyses problems, identifies alternatives, tests and recommends solutions.
5. Participate in beta testing of new applications and Hardware and report on bugs and findings. Assist in global roll outs both in terms of implementation and user orientation/training as necessary. Supports project roll outs and implementation of new processes, including testing debugging and implementation of new application and systems.
6. Maintain spares for better IT support. Coordinate with administration on items (old and obsolete) for Property Survey Board (PSB).
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Completion of secondary education. Additional degree/diploma in Computer Science or Information Technology required. Certification e.g. MCSE, ITIL or equivalent customer support certification will be an advantage.
b) Work Experience
Six years practical professional work experience in information technology, as well as systematic methods of troubleshooting and analytical problem solving, providing assistance to users on ICT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools. Practical experience with various computer platforms and applications: operating systems, email and database systems, Microsoft Office product suites, Help Desk software, advanced Server/PC/laptop/printer installation, configuration, troubleshooting and repairs.
Excellent knowledge of English - both written and spoken. Good knowledge of Hindi/regional language essential.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
Working with People [II]
Drive for Results [II]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
Applying Technical Expertise [II]
Following instructions and Procedures [II]
Planning and Organizing [II]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Common Technical Knowledge Required
Practical knowledge of computer applications, software information management, data processing applications, Server administration, network administration, data communications, hardware and software installation & maintenance, service management, end-user assistance, preparation of end-user documentation and manuals.
Computer knowledge: MS office suite, IT Help Desk tools, MS Outlook and Exchange, Windows server and client operating systems, antivirus and data back-up tools
Knowledge of maintenance tools and procedures
b) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
Practical knowledge of Service Delivery processes (e.g., Incident Management, Problem Management, Configuration Management, Change Management, Release Management).
Practical knowledge of Service Support (e.g., Service Level Management, Availability Management, Capacity Management, Financial Management, ICT Service Continuity Management, Security Management)
Knowledge of ITIL standards of services support
Knowledge of server operating systems, active directory services, network operating systems platforms, server virtualization and clustering
Software development methodologies
Practices and principles of systems support
Practices and principles of ICT analysis, planning, design, implementation and problem resolution
Knowledge of LAN/WAN connectivity, Personal Computer, Windows Operating Systems.
UNICEF's Global Infrastructure, Network and Security Architecture.
UNICEF's procedures and processes for administering messaging network.
Understanding of network troubleshooting tools both hardware and software.
Practices and principles of upgrades installations and conversions.
Practices and principles of IT operations and problem resolution.
Practices and principles of Systems roll outs and implementation in large scale IT environment
Practices and principles of IT analysis, planning, design, implementation and problem resolution
Trends in information technologies and services management
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
Understanding of UN/UNICEF rules and regulations, UNICEF ICT policies, procedures and guidelines including, UNICEF IT Security Policy, Standards and Electronic Code of Conduct.
o Understanding of UN/UNICEF Financial rules and regulations, business processes and procedures.
o Understanding and keen awareness of trends and development in information technology fields (e.g., industry mainstream hardware, operating systems, software tools and utilities).
o Understanding of UN Mission and system; and International Code of Conduct
o Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and observance of UNICEF Guiding Principles
Other Skills and Attributes
(Indicate what other skills and attributes required, such as drafting ability, organizational or analytical skills.)
• Thorough knowledge of web applications and standard Windows-based applications and Network applications with skills for handling detailed assignments of a semi-professional nature. Knowledge of existing Programme Management tools. Good writing and ability to produce technical and user documentation.
• Detailed knowledge of software packages most frequently used in office automation programme systems (MS Office Suite), microcomputer technology, database (MS Access), data communications and telecommunications.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Drive for results.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships
both within and outside the organization.
How to Apply
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 10th September 2013. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.