Social Policy Specialist
Social Policy Specialist
Location: New Delhi
Closing date: 17th September 2013
Purpose of the Post
The incumbent will be responsible for providing support to the India Country Office for social policy analysis and advocacy, through research, partnerships and networks and advocacy, contributing to Social Policy results in the UNICEF-GoI Country Programme. He/She will provide inputs to support sectoral programmes and inter-sectoral coordination relating to social policy, gender main-steaming and equity and social inclusion in programming.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist in the development and implementation of policy analysis, quality evidence-based research, monitoring and evaluation activities in the state(s)/at New Delhi in support of the social policy objectives of the relevant CPAP and UNDAF results frameworks, as well as State Plans of Action for Children, and the implementation of the Convention on the rights of the Child, with specific reference to issues of child sensitive social protection and social inclusion
2. Lead efforts to mainstream issues and strategies for gender equality and empowerment of women and girls, and equity in programming, across sectors and state offices
3. Responsible for the optimal financial implementation of allocated budgets both for cash and supply assistance in accordance with UNICEF rules and regulations. Support and monitor the implementation of the annual plans of action including through the organisation of relevant workshops, meetings, quarterly and annual reviews with partners, training programmes. Undertake regular substantial field visits for review and spot checks of the cooperation; compile progress reports and relevant statistical and financial data and analysis for the assigned programme areas
4. Collect, analyze, coordinate and direct the timely flow of relevant social, economic and political information and make recommendations necessary for policy and programme development in the state(s).
5. Participate and contribute to the Management Teams of the Office, and to regular programme team meetings. Participate and contribute to inter-state activities related to the areas of assignment and in relevant country office meetings. Contribute relevant inputs to annual, donors and other reports and documents.
6. Establish and maintain regular professional contacts with government officials, other partners, including research and training institutions, through joint visits, consultations, meetings. Advocate and promote the adoption of UNICEF policies and strategies, foster alliances to meet objectives.
7. Plan and review Delhi and state work plans at three points in the year.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Master’s degree from a recognized university in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, Development Economics or other relevant disciplines.
b) Work Experience
Minimum five years of professional work experience related to programme planning, monitoring, and policy analysis with focus on social development and poverty alleviation at national or international level.
Fluency in English and Hindi required. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station is an asset.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ II ]
• Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [ II ]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Analyzing [ III]
• Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
• Planning and Organizing [ III ]
iv) Technical Knowledge [ ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job) [ ]
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Knowledge of donor country’s economic and political situation.
• Expertise to leverage UNICEF’s competitive advantage.
• Expertise to deploy networking and mass media for fundraising and special events.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ ]
• Understanding of UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies (MDGs, UNDAF, HIV/AIDS, WFFC, MTSP, etc.)
• Understanding of Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
• Understanding of UN mission and system; and International Code of Conduct.
• Gender equality and diversity awareness.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ ]
• Knowledge of UNICEF’s financial regulations and rules, fundraising manual and fundraising strategy.
• Understanding of government policies, guidelines, legislation, and strategies related to fundraising.
• Understanding of UNICEF programme policies, goals, strategies, guidelines and approaches related to programme funding activities.
• UNICEF policies, strategies promoting and supporting gender equality and diversity.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 17th September 2013. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.