Duty Station: Lucknow
Purpose of the Post
The Programme Manager will be responsible for overall coordination and management of the programme of the state office for efficient and effective programme implementation, including programme/project formulation, design, planning, management, monitoring and evaluation focused on achievement of UNICEF's Organizational priorities in the state.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supervises the day to day programme management of the Programme Sectors at State and regional level, as required. Establishes programme work plans, monitors compliance and provides training, support and guidance to the programme team in order to meet objectives. Identifies human resources requirements and ongoing staff development needs. Expand and nurture partnerships for children, including among government, UN agencies and with NGOs, while ensuring proper contractual arrangements to safeguard UNICEF’s interests.
2. Approves and monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated in accordance with the Programme Budget Allotments (PBA). Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Collaborates with the Operations section to maintain sound internal controls and coordinate financial and supply management requirements and accountability. Ensures the development and implementation of assurance activities aimed at monitoring the proper utilization of UNICEF funds by implementing partners.
3. Represents UNICEF in meetings with senior state government officials as well as multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies, to influence policy development, advocate and promote UNICEF programme goals and objectives, and communicate with major partners on organizational policies.
4. Provides guidance and direction for convergent programme planning, implementation and analysis through ongoing consultations with various units, meetings and reviews within a results based framework. Ensures the development and implementation of an inter-sectoral, convergent approach to work in the five UNICEF focus districts in the state.
5. Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of programme/projects in collaboration with Government and other partners. Undertakes field visits and surveys to monitor and evaluate implementation, identifies problems and proposes remedial action. Identifies or decides on alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve programme delivery and ensure capacity building and programme sustainability.
6. Supervises the preparation of relevant programme reports required for management, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
7. Deputizes for the Chief of Field Office. Supports overall management through participation in management meetings to review office operations, human resources, programme and administrative budgets. Acts as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Chief of Field Office and represents him/her in meetings in fields of social and development policy with full authority to take decisions in non-policy issues. Advises the Chief of Field Office on the overall direction of the programmes and operations and assists in discussions with Delhi on ICO overall policy and programme direction.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
Master’s degree, from a recognized university in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in conflict resolution.
2. Work Experience
Eight years of relevant professional work experience. Field work experience required. Background/familiarity with Emergency desirable.
3. Language Proficiency
Fluency in English and knowledge of local working language of the duty station required.
4. Competency Profile
i) Core Values (Required)
· Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ II ]
• Drive for Result [ II ]
ii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [ II ]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Analyzing [ II ]
• Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
• Creating and Innovating [ II ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP)
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
• Methodology of programme/project management
• UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
• Gender equality and diversity awareness.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
• UNICEF policies, strategies promoting and supporting gender equality and diversity.