Education Specialist (Social Inclusion)
Location: New Delhi
Closing date: 20th February 2013
Purpose Of the Post
Under the overall supervision of Education Specialist, New Delhi, the incumbent will provide technical support to programme strategies and policies related to social inclusion and diversity in the education sector with a focus on the implementation of the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act (RTE Act).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead the analysis and strategies of social inclusion and diversity in education, including gender, SC/ST, minorities, children with disabilities that support acceleration of Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act.
2. Propose specific programmatic approaches to overcome exclusion and reduce disparities in education and support state offices in their implementation. Undertakes field visits to review, monitor and support for effective programme delivery.
3. Undertakes qualitative and quantitative data analysis with a focus on Equitable Quality Education and guide Government and strategic partners in planning and implementation of differential programming strategies both at National and state levels.
4. Keep abreast of UNICEF/Government of India policies and national/international experience in the field of social inclusion and disparity reduction in education. Develop, coordinate and implement advocacy strategies and activities to influence government education counterparts, political and community leaders and civil society etc. for increasing awareness, budget allocation and action for improving social inclusion and disparity reduction.
5. Provide support for planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of work plan activities along with required documentation and donor reports related to social inclusion and diversity programme interventions of Education.
Qualifications, Skills And Attributes
Advanced University degree from a recognized university in Education or Social Sciences or social work or sociology.
b) Work Experience
Five years’ experience in education or social development programming, research and evaluation, advocacy, with an emphasis on social inclusion and diversity issues. Demonstrated ability in development and production of proposals, documents, training plans, materials etc.
Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English is required. A good working knowledge of local language of the duty station will be an asset.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ II ]
• Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [ I ]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Analyzing [ III]
• Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
Technical Knowledge [ ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [II ]
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF Education programmes.
• Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, and/or related fields.
• Gender and diversity awareness
• Leadership in identifying, encouraging and mentoring capable women.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ II ]
Knowledge of theories and practices in:
• Programme/project management in Education • Monitoring and Evaluation
• Training and Capacity Development in Education • Alternative Basic Education
• Curriculum Development • Knowledge Management
General knowledge of:
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for Education programmes
• Knowledge of global education issues, specifically relating to children and women.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address education issues, including those relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan
• UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers (e.g. The Education Strategy) and agency-wide programmes impacting on education results.
• Gender equality and diversity awareness
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ II ]
• Government development plans and policies
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th February 2013. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.