Chief, Field Office
Duty Station: Mumbai
Purpose of the Post
The incumbent will be accountable for UNICEF's advocacy with the government and other partners for the enhancement of the survival, protection, development and participation of children and women in State development efforts. Represents the India Country Office Representative in all aspects of UNICEF's co-operation with the State Government in Maharashtra (India). Responsible for all aspects of office management of the UNICEF state office.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
Representation and advocacy: On the behalf of the Country Representative, represent UNICEF in the state of Maharashtra of assignment, advocate for policies supportive of UNICEF goals & objectives, building alliances in government, NGOs and community groups towards the achievement of these goals. Represent UNICEF in meetings with senior government officials as well as multi-lateral, bi-lateral agencies, non-governmental organizations and maintain an effective working relationship with them, advocating for the rights of children in all fora. Represent UNICEF and ensure increased commitment to UN Reform in order to accelerate and improve the process in the state(s) of assignment. Provide overall direction and guidance on reform issues within the State(s).
Programme planning and development: Be aware of development policies of Central and State Government and the socio-economic scenario of the area; support State Government to develop Situation Analysis/Human Development report. Support the State Government to develop State Plans of Action for children based on up to date situation analysis; support the implementation of UNICEF supported programme within the UNICEF-GOI country programme using appropriate strategies and interventions relevant to the State and Country Programme.
Programme implementation Lead and guide a team of professional and support staff ensuring effective and appropriate use of all human and material resources, overseeing implementation of UNICEF supported programmes, developing annual plans of action, working closely with government and other partners to ensure smooth and efficient execution of project activities. Coordinate inter-sectoral programme activities to contribute to the achievement of programme objectives and relevant Millennium Development Goals. Implement the MEP under the overall framework of the Country MEP goals and as relevant to the specific State setting.
Programme monitoring/evaluation: Coordinate programme evaluation efforts ensuring timely review and course correction of current programme strategies. Direct, supervise and coordinate the preparation of all programme reports required by the Executive Board, country office, and donors. Develop and make effective use of programme monitoring systems ensuring that information generated leads to decisions to improve project performance and feedback to field staff.
Management: Direct, supervise and coordinate the office work plan in VISION, including programme and operations, monitor progress quarterly to ensure objectives are met. Closely monitor financial commitments, expenditure and liquidation of programme and admin. funds allotted to the field office under the integrated budget in accordance with financial rules and regulation, ensuring accountability for resources allocated to the office and compliance with all operational systems and procedures. Establish and monitor relevant internal controls. Assign tasks to staff in Field Office, monitor performance, complete the Performance Appraisal System process as required; ensure appropriate professional development and training of staff, identifying and recommending human resources required for programmes. Hire appropriate services as required through Short Service Agreements (SSA) Temporary Appointments and outsourcing, following UNICEF's rules and regulations. Monitor performance as needed.
Provide leadership and support to the State Office team, for optimal management of the state office. Ensure the organisation of regular staff and programme meetings and follow up to decisions and recommendations. Provide input in the Country Management Team.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
2. Work Experience
3. Language Proficiency
4. Competency Profile
Commitment: Trustworthy and honours commitments; promotes equity, fairness, transparency, and diversity; treats others in a consistent and fair manner.
Diversity and Inclusion: Promotes equity, fairness and diversity; Ability to deal with individuals from all backgrounds; sets example by exhibiting tolerance and respect towards others; proactive in ensuring fair and equitable treatment for all; willingness to challenge inequalities and inappropriate behaviour of individuals at all levels.
Integrity and Commitment: Courageous and upholds the ethical standards of the Organization and of the international civil service in actions and deeds; words and actions are congruent.
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [II]
• Drive for Result [ II ]
• Working With People [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Analyzing [ III ]
• Relating and Networking [ III ]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
• Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
• Leading and Supervising [ II ]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required)
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• Integration and synthesis of various programme activities in accordance with professional practices and UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• Expert knowledge of advanced concepts in primary discipline, with a broad knowledge of related disciplines, in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures.
• Building strategic alliances and partnerships/Resource mobilization: leverages the larger resources of national governments and other development partners.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (the job group)
• Methodology of programme/project management, Building strategic alliances and partnerships/Resource mobilization.
• UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches /UNICEF MTSP.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
• UN/UNCT policies and strategies committed to success of UNCT and RC’s leadership.
OTHER SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Excellent management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to advocate and undertake policy dialogue with senior officials or state government and non-governmental organisations
- Ability to negotiate, influence policy, plan and implement programmes
- Knowledge and use of standard office automation applications related to word processing, graphics presentations etc. as well as Management Information Systems and databases. Knowledge and training on use of work planning tools/Results Based Management an asset.