The incumbent will be required to provide the technical support to the state governments for planning, implementation, training and monitoring of the select health interventions for improved child survival, disease reduction and safe motherhood.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Strategic Planning: Collaborate with the government to identify interventions and activities necessary for the improved planning, implementation and monitoring of young child survival, safe motherhood and disease control in both rural and urban areas. Provide technical assistance and support to the project implementing authorities in the effective conduct of identified and agreed upon activities. Develop plans for area-specific MCH interventions to scale-up immunization coverage as well as coverage with a package of interventions and disease control and support the activities therein.
2. Partnerships & Alliances: Support state and district level initiatives of improved quality and equitable coverage within the health sector by promoting, influencing, facilitating and leading network and partnership building with NGOs, academic institutions, professional associations and private sector. Promote and develop innovative initiatives for community involvement and inter-sectoral action for health and leveraging funding. This includes the establishment and maintenance of regular contact with government officials, project/ programme implementers at state and district levels, staff of training and research institutions through joint visits, consultations and travel
3. Operational Planning and Implementation: Undertake responsibility for developing project-specific work plans and activities, monitor and implement the activities which include conducting of workshops, meetings and training programmes; extensive field visits for review and spot checks, compiling progress reports and input-output statistics and analysis with specific reference to young child survival and safe motherhood. Monitor programme implementation and help in solving problems. Promote implementation of the set of health services for child survival, safe motherhood and disease control; and foster an alliance to meet the goals.
4. Evidence Generation: Ensure acute and sustained awareness of UNICEF’s policy and priorities, as well as the health problems of women and children in the country and its states and the services available to them with particular reference to young child survival, safe motherhood and disease control. Underline the promotion of an intensive focus and convergent planning to bring about evidence for decision-making, improvements in coverage and quality of health, nutrition and sanitation integrated service delivery for child survival, support community involvement and demand generation for health services in collaboration with C4D colleagues and promote an inclusive approach in programming to ensure access to health services.
5. Support the establishment/adaptation/refinement of measures for system strengthening and quality improvement to ensure continuity, effectiveness and sustainability of child survival and maternal health services
6. Provide technical support for the planning, implementation and monitoring of training activities, awareness building (social communications) activities, particularly with reference to young child survival, safe motherhood and disease control and to promote concepts of promotive/preventive family and community health. Identify training needs, prepare training plans and improve quality of training
Qualifications, Skills And Attributes
b) Work Experience
d) Competency Profile:
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ II ]
• Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [ I ]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Analyzing [ III]
• Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Deciding and Initiating Action [ II ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ III ]
Technical Knowledge [ ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ ]
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan.
• Knowledge in Health related issues.
• Intermediate Technical Knowledge (at the graduate education level) of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas:
* Public Health, International Health, Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Population and Family Health
* Health Research, Biostatistics, Sociomedical Sciences, Epidemiology
* Health Education, Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, Educational Interventions in Health Care
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ ]
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for sectoral programmes
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
• UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ ]
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
- Managerial, analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12th December 2012. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.