Programme Specialist (Governance)
Location: New Delhi
Closing date: 17 October2012
Purpose Of The Post
Under the guidance of the Chief, Policy, Planning and Evaluation (PPE), the candidate will be responsible for decentralization for children’s rights including the coordination of two major initiatives related to improving the status of women and children in India according with the Millennium Development Goals (in convergent districts and a still to be specified number of disadvantaged districts in nine UNDAF states).
This includes the conceptualisation and operationalization of the roll out in the new UNICEF support districts as well as consolidation and advocacy for tested approaches in the integrated districts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Analyze existing policy environment, political climate and administrative systems which facilitate or hinder the process of improving efficiency and effectiveness of the public administration system and recommend corrective actions to be taken by the State Offices and Sections of UNICEF, ICO under the overall guidance of the Chief PPE.
Interact, negotiate and advocate for policies and changes in policies and programmes and resources on behalf of UNICEF with high level and senior government officials as well as multi-lateral, bilateral agencies and NGOs with the view of improving the district level public administration especially around children in both rural and urban areas.
2. With PPE establish the monitoring system to follow up the progress of the district based programme of the India Country Office including the conduct of systematic field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation and decide on required corrective action. Supervise and guide field level activities to ensure that programme objectives are met.
3. Working with the Chief PPE, Chief of Field Services and the Chiefs of Field Offices, provide overall conceptual leadership, guidance and direction for district based work (rural and urban) of UNICEF India including formulation of goals and monitoring of progress through on-going consultations and inter-sectoral exchanges and coordination of activities, information and experience to achieve programme objectives.
4. Formulate programme goals and objectives as well as the relevant indicators to monitor progress and develop strategies and implementation framework. Establish the overall framework for programme work plan, monitor compliance and performance standards, and provide support and guidance.
5. Keep up to date with social development at the international and national level which are relevant to UNICEF policy directions and programme thrusts at district level. Develop methodologies and identify new approaches for effective programme delivery and ensure that goals/objectives for district work are met. Write position papers on district planning and children for use in the development of UNICEF global/regional/national programme policy. Participate in relevant international/regional and national meetings and workshops.
6. Build strong partnerships between UNICEF, UN, Government, CBO and NGO counterparts at national, state and district level and promote the strengthening of interdepartmental coordination related to planning for children at the district level.
7. Document lessons learned and serve as a knowledge base related to the district-based work of UNICEF.
Qualifications, Skills And Attributes
Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Planning, Statistics or related technical fields supplemented by training and specialization in research and evaluation methodologies.
b) Work Experience
Eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience at national levels in planning, monitoring and evaluation of large national programmes with emphasis on strategic planning and district based interventions. Experience with, and understanding of, government systems, procedures and processes at all levels (especially district) will be an added advantage.
Fluency in English required. Knowledge of Hindi/regional language desirable.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ] • Working with People [ II ] • Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [ II ] • Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Analyzing [ II ] • Relating and Networking [ II ]
• Persuading and Influencing [ II ] • Creating and Innovating [ II ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan (MTSP).
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
• Methodology of programme/project management.
• UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions.
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 17th October 2012. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.