Location: New Delhi
Closing date: 3rd October2012
Purpose Of The Post
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Country Representative, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to the Senior Management including the Representative, Deputy Representatives and Chief, Field Services in the areas of organizing the Country Management Team meetings, planning support to policy development, and quality assurance of public engagements, speeches and presentations, etc.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Assist the Representative, Principal Officers, Programmes & Operations and Chief, Field Services in preparation of speeches, presentations and public appearances.
Liaise with Communication and programme sections, as well as other event organizers in the selection of speech topics and programme content. Review supporting materials and draft texts provided by the substantive focal point(s), undertake further research if required, finalise, and provide quality assurance. Coordinate briefings by substantive staff in advance of engagements.
2. Attends meetings involving the Representative and Principal Officers, Programmes & Operations and Chief, Field Services with senior staff and external visitors/donors/contacts. Prepare briefing notes and summary conclusions on such meetings, as requested. Ensure follow-up actions are monitored and brought to the attention of the Representative.
3. Assist Chief Field Services officer in developing relevant State monitoring tools in close collaboration with Planning and Evaluation Section and Budget Review Unit. Ensuring timely compilation and analysis of a range of substantive and administrative issues. Assist Chief Field Services officer on projects to ensure coherence among state presentation
4. Assist the Representative by consulting/interfacing with Section Chiefs, Chiefs of Field Offices/Programme Officers as appropriate, on overall ICO programme and priority and policy-related issues. Follow up on compliance of important action points agreed. Provide input into policy documents and directives as required. Support organization of Country Management Team Meetings and ensure preparation of agenda and minutes
5. Establish and manage efficient procedures for the Representative, two Principal Officers (Programmes & Operations) and Chief, Field Services, to ensure smooth liaison. Contribute to the establishment of guidelines and systems for dealing with high-level external contacts.
6. Assist in monitoring and follow-up of the implementation of activities in the Representative’s office as per established workplan.
7. Assist in the assessment of media queries addressed to the Representative’s office, and requests for interviews with the Representative, Principal Officers – Programmes and Operations, and Chief, Field Services. Provide background information to senior management to prepare for media, collect data and information necessary for interviews, in consultation with concerned sections.
Qualifications, Skills And Attributes
University degree in Public Affairs, International Relations, Social Sciences, Communication or other related discipline.
b) Work Experience
Two years’ of relevant professional and managerial experience at the national level in external relations, programme management and/or multilateralism. International experience would be an asset.
Good knowledge of all aspects of internal UNICEF areas of operations. UNICEF experience in working with external multilateral and bilateral partners and allies in international development cooperation.
Fluency in written and spoken English required. Good knowledge of Hindi highly desirable. Knowledge of another UN language an asset.
d) Competency Profile:
i) Core Values (Required)
• Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ] • Working with People [ II ] • Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
• Analyzing [ I ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ I ]
• Planning and Organizing [ II ]
• Learning & Researching [ II ]
iv) Technical Knowledge
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group)
• Methodology of programme/project management
• UNICEF programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies.
• Knowledge of global human rights issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address on national and international issues, particularly relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery
• UNICEF emergency programme policies, goals, strategies and approaches.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses
• UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
• UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
Applications consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3rd October 2012.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organizations qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training etc. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.