Duty Station: Patna
Last date - 15 August 2012
Purpose Of The Post
Under the overall supervision of Education Specialist, provides support to the State Government for planning, implementation and monitoring of education programmes and in support of the Right to Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act (RTE 2009). The Post will have a special focus on education for girls and children from disadvantaged groups of the community and early childhood education (ECE) through innovative, systematic programming and advocacy, in the state of Bihar.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Support and provide assistance to Education Specialist in the planning and management of Education programmes in the state of Bihar and in context of ECE, RTE especially with regard to children from disadvantaged communities including girls and working children.
Undertake field visits to UNICEF project sites, assess local conditions and resources, and monitor inputs; conduct periodic Programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
Under the overall guidance of Education Specialist collaborate with state, district, Panchayat and Municipal Authorities and programme colleagues in the UNICEF Field Office in (I) programme development,(ii) formulation of plans of action and implementation of activities and (iii)setting up monitoring systems of projects underway. Represent UNICEF at meetings and workshops.
Provide support for planning, implementation and monitoring of training, research, development of analytical reports and social mobilization activities under the Education programmes.
Be aware of the problems of children and women in the states and of elementary education available to them in the state. Also, be aware of the Government and UNICEF policies in this regard.
Qualifications, Skills and Attributes
University degree in Education, Social Sciences or related fields.
b) Work Experience
Minimum of 2 years’ experience at the national/state level in education or social development programmes. Has experience of working with national/state government involved in education desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of local working language of the suty station an asset.
d) Competency Profile
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ II ]
• Working with People [ I ]
• Drive for Results [ I ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
• Analyzing [ II]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
• Learning and Researching [ II ]
• Planning and Organizing [ II ]
iv) Technical Knowledge [ ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required [ ]
(Technical knowledge requirements specific to the job can be added here as required.)
• Advanced knowledge of one or more of the technical areas of UNICEF Education programmes.
• Advanced Technical Knowledge of the theories, principles and methods in one of the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, and/or related fields.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required(for the job group) [ ]
Knowledge of theories and practices in:
• Programme/project management in Education • Monitoring and Evaluation
• Training and Capacity Development in Education • Alternative Basic Education
• Curriculum Development • Knowledge Management
General knowledge of:
• Methodology of programme/project management
• Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for Education programmes
• Knowledge of global education issues, specifically relating to children and women.
• UNICEF policies and strategy to address education issues, including those relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
• UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• UNICEFprogramme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
• Mid-Term Strategic Plan
• UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers (e.g. The Education Strategy) and agency-wide programmes impacting on education results.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job)
• Government development plans and policies
• Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
• UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
•UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
• UN security operations and guidelines.
e) Other skills and attributes
- Knowledge and use of standard office automation applications related to word processing, graphics presentations etc. as well as Management Information Systems and databases. Knowledge and training on use of work planning tools an asset.
Applications consisting of a covering letter; an up-to-date CV and a completed Personal History form (download) should be sent to email@example.com by 15 August 2012. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the post title and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
UNICEF does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training or any other fees). UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.