Information Communication Technology (ICT) Officer
Location: New Delhi
Closing Date: 28th December 2011
Purpose of the post:
The incumbent will be responsible for providing support for telecommunications infrastructure, communication linkages and telecom staff capacity in the Office and all Sub-Offices within the Country. The jobholder will be required to implement emergency telecom operations and staff security networks and integrate them into the UNICEF Global Private Network and also assisting the ICT Manager in discharging telecommunications responsibilities.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Supervise the deployment of UNICEF communications networks and supporting infrastructure. Include radio and satellite communications systems as primary or backup means of communications, power systems and other logistical support required. Ensure reliable, robust and efficient operational communications for UNICEF operations.
2. Manage the Country Office wireless and emergency telecommunications support, which includes technical support and management and administration of systems, for UNICEF emergency communications networks inside the Country.
3. Provide a reliable infrastructure for multi-point video and audio conference facilities.
4. Train and supervise ICT Assistant (Telecoms) GS-6 to enable the staff member to provide reliable telecommunication network support.
5. Identify support (regional and local) available from UNICEF telecommunications providers and coordinate assistance provision direct from vendors/service providers to UNICEF offices in the Country requiring such assistance.
6. Any other duties assigned by supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• University degree in Information Technology, Telecommunications, or related field, as below:
Theoretical foundations of computer science, with practical applications of telecommunications and development of voice and data systems.
• Specialised training in telecommunications technology, management and policy with up-to-date coverage of the issues and trends.
• Training in: management information systems; data communications and networks, computer networking, telecommunications management, telecommunications policy and environment; distributed information systems; videoconference infrastructure; and/or information security and control.
• At least two years professional work experience in voice and data communications hardware and software, particularly in the context of wireless and emergency telecommunications and networking, with increasing management-related content at national and international levels.
• Knowledge and experience of field security and emergency and wireless communications are highly desirable.
• Knowledge and experience of implementing videoconference facilities are highly desirable.
• Experience in planning and/or supporting the physical technical environment necessary for a field office to function.
• Fluency in written and spoken English and working knowledge of Hindi will be an advantage.
Other Skills and Attributes
• Must have a strong skill and conceptual ability to integrate both the capabilities of available technology, and the organisational needs and functions that technology must support.
• Must be equipped with up-to-date coverage of current issues and trends in information resources management and telecommunications.
• Must have demonstrated success in working with others, with positive results.
i) Core Values (Required)
• Diversity and Inclusion
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [I]
• Drive for Result [I]
• Working With People [I]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Analyzing [II]
• Applying Technical Expertise [II]
• Formulating Strategies and Concepts [I]
• Planning and Organizing [I]
iv) Technical Knowledge
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
• Fundamental knowledge of office computer and information systems, including hardware, software, communication equipment technology, networking, or operating systems applications.
• Excellent knowledge, training and proficiency in the use of office computer systems (e.g., Lotus Notes, LAN, WAN.
• Excellent knowledge, training and proficiency in the use of office computer applications (e.g., word processor, spreadsheet, information/database management software and other corporate software.)
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required
• Fundamental knowledge of the principles, theories, practices and techniques for managing the activities relating to planning, managing and implementing ICT systems and services for the Office.
• Fundamental knowledge across multiple technical areas such as ICT administration, system analysis/development methods, database, Web management, networking and security, operating systems, applications, or business process analysis, as required.
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
• ICT policies, procedures and guidelines (including Information Security Policy and Standards of Electronic Conduct)
• UNICEF business processes
• Current ICT industry mainstream hardware, operating systems and related software tools and utilities
• PC operating systems, their installation, configuration and setup for secure enterprise environments.
• Database software development environments on Microsoft Windows server operating system platforms.
• Emergency and security telecommunications
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 28th December 2011. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application.
Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training or any other fees). UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.