Communication For Development Specialist
Purpose of the post:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Conducts and/or supervise the appropriate and comprehensive situation assessments including baseline and formative studies in relation to specific behaviors and social norms within the various programmes, as necessary
2. Facilitates building partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists, corporates and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on communication for social and behavioral change and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the communication for development programme .
3. In collaboration with UNICEF and government programme officers, designs and manages the implementation of communication for development strategies aiming at: (a) advocacy with policy makers and other key stakeholders; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; (c) increased community participation in development programmes; and (d) behavior and social change at individual/ household/ societal levels.
4. In collaboration with the Delhi section, leads the development of training design and curricula and training workshops to build capacity in participatory & behavior communication and social norms at various government levels, in support of programme sustainability. This also includes providing technical support to government counterparts in the development and appropriate use of programme communication for social development.
5. In collaboration with partners, organizes/manages the development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery, including facilitating behavior change, where necessary.
6. Manages the budget of the Communication for Development programme at state level. Monitors and evaluates activities on the basis of applied communication research and frequent visits to project sites.
7. In collaboration with the Delhi section, disseminates communication research finds, ensures exchanges of experience and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners and UNICEF Regional Office.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
1. Master’s degree in the Social/Behavioral Sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF. Degree or training in media and communication with experience in strategic communication planning for behavior development/ social mobilization /advocacy/ participatory communication/ development and production of creative materials/ research, training or facilitation of communication/ impact evaluation of communication interventions required.
2. Five years of progressively responsible work experience in the design, planning and management of strategic communication programmes. Training in current developments in the fields of media, communication for development theory and research, behavioral and social sciences, participatory planning and processes; as also strategic communication planning, behavior analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions. Experience and knowledge of programme communication design and implementation for behavior and social change, social mobilization and advocacy. Experience in inter-disciplinary approach in strategic communication with knowledge of UN and/or UNICEF’s work in humanitarian action
3. Fluency in oral and written English language. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
ii) Functional Competencies (Required)
b) Common Technical Knowledge required (for the job group)
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training or any other fees).
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.