Communication For Development Specialist
Location: New Delhi
Closing Date: 17th August 2011
Purpose of the post:
Under the guidance of the Section Chief, responsible for technical advice to the Government counterparts as well as support in the provision of technical advisory services to the State Offices.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Provides technical advice to Government of India counterparts as well as support in the provision of technical advisory service at the State Level both internally and externally. The main objective is that of providing the country with most current information on best practice locally, nationally and around the world.
2. Assists the C4D network to plan, organize and produce knowledge management products and learning activities in the area of policies, planning and programming, management, monitoring and evaluation of child related programmes.
3. Develops and monitors knowledge management and learning exchanges among Indian Leaders and Practitioner in the area of children’s programmes, both with in India and outside the country.
4. Support ICO programmes and contributes to the development of C4D annual work plan and the design of technical programmes in the States. Analyzes and evaluates data and/or proposes corrective action to State Offices when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Provides guidance and support to staff to manage and implement projects.
5. Undertakes field visits for monitoring and supporting programmes, as well as conducting periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners. Recommends action for programme adjustments. Provides technical advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning and management of programme/projects.
6. Contributes towards the preparation of IMEP studies and other relevant investigations compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information, and writing relevant sections of documents.
7. Meets with national and international agencies covering the new innovations of the programme. Participates in meetings with Ministries responsible for national programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements. Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
1. Advanced university degree in the social/behavioural sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health Education, Communication) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
2. Five years progressively responsible professional work experience in social development, project administration, monitoring and evaluation, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes.
3. Fluency in English. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station, an asset.
Competency Profile :
i) Core Values (Required)
• Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ III ] • Working with People [ II ] • Drive for Results [ II ]
iii) Functional Competencies (Required)
• Leading and Supervising [ I ] • Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
• Relating and Networking [ II ] • Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
• Applying Technical Expertise [ II ] • Entrepreneurial Thinking [ II ]
ivi) Technical Knowledge [ ]
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required (for the job) [ ]
• Knowledge of current developments in the fields of : communication theory, motivational psychology, adult learning theory, indigenous media, community organization and participation, strategic communication planning, behaviour analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions.
• Knowledge of inter-disciplinary approach in programme development and implementation in programme communication, social mobilization and behavioural change.
• Knowledge of and skills in programme communication networking, advocacy and negotiation.
• Knowledge of training/facilitation and impact evaluation of communication intervention.
• Knowledge and experience to organize and implement training, including development of curricula and methodologies. Knowledge of community capacity building.
• Knowledge and experience in the methods of communication to clearly and concisely express ideas and concepts in written and oral form and to listen to and acknowledges others' perspectives and views.
• Computer knowledge, skills and practical experience, including internet navigation, network, telecommunications and various office applications.
b) Common Technical Knowledge Required (for the job group) [ ]
• UN/UNICEF policy papers, relating to programme communication and programmes
• Executive Directives
• UNICEF programme manuals
• Communication for Development Guidelines
• UNICEF country programme plans
• Government development plans and policies
• UN agency agreements and joint policy papers
c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced (for the Job) [ ]
• Understanding of UNICEF Mission and UNICEF Guiding Principles.
• Understanding of UNICEF programmatic policies, goals, visions, positions, policies, priorities, strategies and approaches (MDGs, UNDAF, MTSP, etc.).
• Understanding of Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
• Understanding of UN mission and system; and International Code of Conduct.
• Understanding of staff welfare and rights of staff members.
• Knowledge of emergency operations and security guidelines.
• Understanding of international humanitarian affairs and humanitarian work.
• Understanding of UNICEF policies and procedures for programming, operations and communication.
• Latest theory, methodology, technology and tools in the functional areas.
• Knowledge of the Programme Policy and Procedure (PPP) manual.
• Knowledge, skills and experience in community capacity building.
• Understanding of government policies, guidelines, legislation and strategies on various subjects.
d) Other skills and attributes:
• Current knowledge of development issues and policies, as well as programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation, specifically of the respective sector.
• A familiarity as to how public administration systems affect delivery of results for children
• Understanding of social mobilization and behaviour change communication
• Understanding of the importance and role of partnerships
• Ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, especially new ones, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
• Analytical, influencing, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
• Report Writing
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent by email to email@example.com by 17th August 2011. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the title and location of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application.
Only applications of short-listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian nationals only.
UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training or any other fees).
For updates join UNICEF on Facebook