Communication For Development Specialist
Purpose of the post:
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Field Office, the incumbent works at the State and District level and take leadership and sector specific guidance from the Programme Communication Section and other relevant Technical Centers of Excellence. The incumbent will be responsible to lead the design, management, monitoring and evaluation of strategic communication for behavior and community-led social change communication strategies in support of the country programmes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Conducts an appropriate and comprehensive situation assessment including baseline studies in relation to a programme/issue.
2. Facilitates building partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
3. In collaboration with UNICEF and government programme officers, designs and manages the implementation of programme communication strategies aiming at: (a) advocacy with policy makers and other key stakeholders; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; (c) increased community participation in development programmes; and (d) behavior and social change at individual/ household/ societal levels.
4. In collaboration with partners, organizes/manages the development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery, including facilitating behavior change, where necessary.
5. Leads the development of training design and curricula and training workshops to build capacity in participatory & behavior communication at various government levels, in support of programme sustainability. This also includes providing technical support to government counterparts in the development and appropriate use of programme communication for social development.
6. Monitors and evaluates activities on the basis of applied communication research and frequent visits to project sites.
7. Disseminates communication research finds, ensures exchanges of experience and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners and UNICEF Regional Office.
8. Manages budgets.
9. Works with and guides the work of a team of support staff and/or external consultants/ contractors.
10. Advocates for children’s issues with key partners, donors and counterparts.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced university degree in the Social/Behavioral Sciences (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Health, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
• Minimum five years of progressively responsible work experience in the design, planning and management of strategic communication programmes. Training in current developments in the fields of media, communication for development theory and research, behavioral and social sciences, participatory planning and processes; as also strategic communication planning, behavior analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions. Experience and knowledge of programme communication design and implementation for behavior and social change, social mobilization and advocacy. Experience in inter-disciplinary approach in strategic communication with knowledge of UN and/or UNICEF’s work in humanitarian action.
• Fluency in oral and written English language. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
• Proven skills in programme communication networking, advocacy and negotiation.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14th May 2011. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.