Job Code: UNCSP
Closing Date: 14th May 2011
Purpose of the post:
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Field Office the jobholder works at the State and District level and takes sector specific guidance from the relevant Technical Centre of Excellence. The incumbent will be responsible for facilitating and influencing the State Government’s policy, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, for an assigned programme or specific projects in the State of Bihar.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
Influencing Policy Advocacy
Assists the State Representative in the development of the strategy and plan for child rights advocacy, based on state priorities, to increase media visibility& discourse, public action and discourse among civil society and legislative assembly members on the changes required in policies/legal frameworks and implementation of those policies/legal frameworks.
Convenes strategic partnerships to impact on overall advocacy for childrens policies, to support programmes and resources in the States. Interacts with media and other partners, on the management of advocacy and communication initiatives. Participates in meetings with Ministries/Departments, media, civil society partners responsible for advocacy, Legislative Assembly members and follows up on implementation of agreements and plans. Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in advocacy management and evaluation.
With guidance from the Technical Centre of Excellence, proposes strategies for advocacy. Prepares, implements, monitors and evaluates advocacy initiatives in the state. Analyzes and evaluates data/evidence for use to meet advocacy priorities and objectives of the state.
In collaboration with Sectoral /SPME colleagues, designs, manages and implements specific media advocacy plan and results-focused communication campaigns to create constructive public pressure for change in policy, legal frameworks or implementation of Flagship programmes.
Coordinates and supports visits of journalists, NatComs, film producers etc. for web/media coverage and fund raising purposes. Contributes to and enables the concurrent monitoring and reporting on advocacy/communication campaigns in the state. Integrates input/advice from the Advocacy and Partnerships Technical Centre for Excellence in Delhi
Monitoring and Evaluation
Facilitates the review of communication initiatives in the state. Undertakes field visits to monitor advocacy & partnerships initiatives (including cash and supply assistance), as well as conducting periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners. Identifies and recommends necessary action for adjustments in planned advocacy activities. Provides advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning and management of advocacy and communication campaigns. Contributes to the preparation of the Situation Analysis, led by SPME, by compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information, and writing sections related to advocacy/communication/partnerships of the Analysis.
Work plan development
Responsible for the development of the Advocacy & Partnerships work plan, and ensures compliance with specific assigned objectives. Provides guidance and support to subordinate staff to manage and implement the plans.
Capacity Building and technical assistance for Government
Assists government authorities to plan and organize capacity building programmes for strengthening advocacy and communication campaigns. Identifies training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of state initiatives. Provides technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing.
Proactively collaborates within state and/or sector with programme colleagues to give and receive knowledge and assistance. Pooling resources for more effective programming. Assists in development of appropriate communication and advocacy strategy to support programmes. Supports/profiling and visibility for state initiatives on inclusive programming .
Supplies and Cash Assistance
Coordinates with the Operations/Supply staff/programme support on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, as per UNICEF rules and procedures monitors and submits financial status reports to Senior Programme Officer or Representative as required.
Writes programme/project inputs for donor proposals, status reports required for management Board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced university degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Communications, Journalism, Public relations or equivalent professional work experience in advocacy, communication area combined with relevant University degree in Social Sciences. Knowledge of computer systems and applications. Proven skills in advocacy ,information and communications, networking, and ability to relate this to mass media, and government officials and for public discourse.
• Minimum five years progressively responsible professional work experience in national, state and community levels in advocacy ,information and communications related to social development.
• Fluency in English. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
• In depth understanding and knowledge of the sector
• Current knowledge of development issues, strategies, as well as programming policies and procedures in development cooperation.
• Understanding of the importance and role of partnerships
• Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
• Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
• Report writing
• Training ability.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14th May 2011. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail. . Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.