Communication For Development Officer
Job Code: UNC4DG
Closing Date: 11th May, 2011
Purpose of the post:
The incumbent will be responsible for the design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of strategic communication for behavior and community-led social change to contribute to the achievement of Intermediate Results in various programmatic areas.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Support appropriate and comprehensive situation assessment including baseline studies in relation to programme/issue. Propose and monitor studies, surveys and evaluation activities as needed.
2. In collaboration with UNICEF and government programme officers, contribute to the design, management and implementation of effective programme communication strategies aiming at: (a) behaviour and social change at individual/ household/ societal levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations and other relevant stakeholders; (c) increased community participation in development programmes; and (d) advocacy with key decision-/policy-makers.
3. Support identification of training needs and develops training activities and materials to enhance capacity in participatory & behaviour communication at various government levels, in support of programme sustainability.
4. Monitor and evaluates activities using applied communication research and frequent visits to project sites.
5. Support development of partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to create a supportive environment for social change in the community
6. In collaboration with partners, organizes/manages the development, pre-testing and production of high quality, culturally and socially relevant communication materials for behaviour and social change for various media, where necessary.
7. Document best practices of key programme interventions for bheaviour and social change.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies required:
• University degree in the Social/Behavioral Sciences (Communication, Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Education) or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
• Two years progressively responsible work experience in the design, planning and/or implementation of strategic communication programmes.
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
• Clearly and concisely express ideas and concepts in written and oral form and to listen to and acknowledges others' perspectives and views.
• Excellent analytical skills to synthesize diverse sets of data and information and present it persuasively at official forums.
• Ability to draft official progress reports for donors and government partners in collaboration with programme sections.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications
• Understanding of Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
• . Understanding of international humanitarian affairs and humanitarian work.
• Knowledge of latest theory, methodology, technology and tools in the functional areas.
• Understanding of development and production of creative materials
• Knowledge about communication interventions under situations of emergency would be an asset.
• Knowledge of current developments in the fields of media, communication for development theory and research, behavioural and social sciences, participatory planning and processes; as also strategic communication planning, behaviour analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 11 May 2011. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.