Job Code: UNHS
Closing Date: 6th October 2010
Purpose of the post:
Under the guidance of the Programme Manager, responsible for technical, strategic and policy advice to the Government counterparts- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (MOHFW) and Dept fo Women & Child Development , (DWCD,) within the framework of the national Rural Health Mission (NRHM), Reproductive and Child Health Programme Phase 2 (RCH II).
Under the guidance of Chief of Field Office, provide leadership to the health team and ensure effective and cordial convergence with the Polio Programme and within the YCSD-cluster
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
Technical Assistance and Policy Support:
Provide technical, strategic and policy assistance and support to maternal, neonatal, and child health (MNCH) interventions being advanced under RCHII + the National Rural Health Mission to government of Uttar Pradesh (at both state and district level) and development partners. Analyzes and recommends strategies, systems of management, resource allocation and coordination systems around mother and child health programmes contribute to reach MDG 4 and 5 targets. Ongoing analysis of observations in the field and of available data, surveys and research in order to identify and prioritize constraints in the effective and quality implementation of GoUP programmes in the health sector.
Assist government authorities and non-government partners to plan and organize capacity building programmes. Apply right-based approaches to programming and humanitarian principles while promoting the quality of rights-based Health programmes through the formulation of programme goals and strategies and approaches, using results-based planning methodology and terminology. Identify training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of programmes/projects. Supports the development and implementation of the (micro)plans for Special Immunization Activities (SIAs), i.e. Measles, with an emphasis on strengthening the overarching Routine Immunization program.
Assist the state government at state and district levels to design and strengthen health systems for planning and delivery of maternal care and integrated young child survival and development services at the state/district and village levels, with an emphasis on enhanced capacities, accountability and effective implementation of government programmes related to women and children.
Contribute to and enable the concurrent monitoring and reporting on performance indicators of Government flagship programmes and/or UNICEF- NGO managed programmes under Project Cooperation Agreements. Identify essential and operations research required to understand, analyze and resolve system constraints and actively seek partnership with institutions in and beyond the state. Key are Human Resource Management and Special Neonatal Care units. Identify best practices in other states and the region and explore feasibility for replication in UP.
Management (Planning, monitoring and evaluation):
Manages and supervises the day to day operations of the health unit (child health, maternal health and immunization) in the field office and at district level. This includes developing, maintaining and actualizing the rolling work plan (RWP) of the section and its budget through monitoring compliance and expenditure. Leads the process of the monitoring and evaluation of ongoing and completed activities, programs and outsourced components using a RBNM-based logframe approach with input, process and outcome indicators, sets targets and adopts the RWP accordingly.
Actively seeks partnership with academic institutions for (operations) research and baseline and follow up surveys. Provides training support and guidance to the RCH team in order to meet objectives. Identifies human resources requirements and ongoing staff and consultancy needs.
Convergence and Partnerships:
Coordinate within the health sector and with other sectors: Proactively collaborate and contribute to the convergence plan with Polio Eradication section, with special focus on routine immunization and control of diarrhea; collaborate and coordinate with Child Development and Nutrition section in view of enhancing integrated delivery of health and nutrition services; collaborate with Water, Sanitation and Hygiene section around WASH standards in health unit and key behaviors required for child survival and development; assist in development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and/or advocate for mother and child health.
Contribute to the planning and formulation of behavioral development/behavior communication change initiatives (C4D in the lead) with respect to mother and child health to achieve effective behavior change.
Support the Chief of Field Office and the Programme Manager with inputs for the Health Development Partners Forum. Interact and collaborate pro-actively with the private sector to ensure effective implementation of Flagship programme components like roll out of (F)IMNCI, ZNn+ORS, SCNUs, Maternal Health Services and Immunization. Facilitate effective coordination and cooperation between Dept of Health and other relevant ministries for enhanced effective programme implementation and convergence in e.g. VHNDs and Routine Immunization. Utilise the partnerships with stakeholders to leverage resources for Health, particularly Child Survival.
Document, report and contribute towards the Situation Analysis by analyzing the data, obtaining the updated sectoral information, and preparing the specific written inputs; inputs for donor proposals, status reports required for management, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports. Document and disseminate lessons learned.
Develop and implement country-specific national capacity building strategies, Explore areas and opportunities for staff development, including training and opportunities for cross fertilization with UNICEF staff from other country programmes, Provide technical leadership and coordination of relevant operational research, thus contributing to the knowledge base in MNCH.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Medicine, Public Health, Pediatrics Health, Health Research, International Health, Health Policy and Management, Environmental Health Sciences, Family Health, Biostatistics, Socio-medical Sciences, Epidemiology, Health Education, or a field relevant to international development assistance in Health. Basic medical degree is essential.
• Minimum eight years progressively responsible professional work experience in health policy and programming, maternal, neonatal and child health, immunization, public health, pediatrics, social development, health and nutrition programme management, Excellent and in-depth technical knowledge and skills within the sector
• Current knowledge of development issues and policies, as well as programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation, specifically of the respective sector.
• A familiarity as to how public administration systems affect delivery of results for children
• Understanding of social mobilization and behavior change communication
• Understanding of the importance of convergence with other sectors and the role of partnerships
• Ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
• Analytical, influencing, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
• Report Writing
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Basic Epidemiology and Operations Research
• monitoring and evaluation.
• Fluency in English. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 6th October 2010. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location applied for in the subject line of your e-mail/application.
Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.