Job Code: UNESND
Location: New Delhi
Closing Date: 6th October 2010
Purpose of the post:
Under the general guidance of the Chief of Education, responsible for supporting overall coordination, partnerships, planning, development and management of the Education Programme. The focus will be on supporting the implementation of ‘the Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act, 2009 (RTE)’ for all girls and boys between 6 – 14 years in India.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Supervises the activities leading to the preparation of the Situation Analysis for education programme development and periodically updates by monitoring and analyzing the social, political and economic trends in the country that affect the right to education for all children.
2. Formulates programme goals and objectives and develops strategies and implementation frameworks which support RTE implementation through child friendly inclusive schools and systems. Coordinates preparation of the Country Programme Recommendation and related documentation. Analyzes, evaluates and consolidates all programme documentation.
3. Provides guidance and direction for programme planning, implementation and analysis through ongoing consultations with various sections, especially on general policy direction, convergence and programme management.
4. Represents UNICEF in meetings with senior government officials as well as multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies, to advocate and promote UNICEF programme goals and objectives in the context of RTE, and communicate with major partners on organizational policies. Participates in tripartite and other meetings with ministries responsible for programme/project development and reviews,and follows up on the implementation of recommendations and agreements.
5. Establishes programme workplans, monitors compliance and provides training, support and guidance to the programme team in order to meet objectives. Identifies human resources requirements and ongoing staff development needs.
6. Approves and monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated in accordance with the Programme Budget Allotments (PBA). Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds.
7. Prepares relevant programme reports required for management, the Executive Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
8. Deputizes the Chief of Education as required. Supports overall management through participation in management meetings to review office operations, human resources, and programme and administrative budgets.
9. Plans, develops and implements the Education programme) by working with the government and other partners, preparing required documentation, workplans, and programme , monitoring and evaluation .
10. Reviews and evaluates the technical, institutional and financial feasibility and constraints of programme/projects in collaboration with Government and other partners. Undertakes field visits and surveys to monitor and evaluate implementation, identifies problems and proposes remedial action. Identifies or decides on alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve programme delivery and ensure capacity building and programme sustainability in the context of RTE.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced university degree in any of the following: Education, Social Sciences, Public Administration, International Relations, , or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
• Minimum eight years of professional work experience at the national and international levels in education, social development and related fields.
• Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
• Expertise and indepth knowledge/understanding of education issues and sector
• Demonstrated experience in reaching out to marginalized groups of children/communities by promoting quality and social inclusion in education
• Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
• Ability to provide guidance and direction to a team of professional staff in Delhi and across the state offices.
• Good analytical, negotiating, communication, writing and advocacy skills.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 6th October 2010. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location applied for in the subject line of your e-mail/application.
Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.