Communication For Development Specialist
JOB CODE – UHC4D
Closing Date: 25th August 2010
Purpose of the post:
The incumbent works at the State and District level under the daily supervision of the Chief of Field Office and take leadership and sector specific guidance from the Communication for Development Section and other relevant Technical Centres of Excellence. Under the guidance of the Chief of Field Office, and in close collaboration with all other sections in the Hyderabad Office, responsible for facilitating and influencing State Government’s policy and strategies related to communication for behaviour and community-led social change and for the design, management, monitoring and evaluation of the Communication for Development programme supported by UNICEF in the States of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Conducts appropriate and comprehensive situation assessment including
baseline studies in relation to programme/issue. Analyses and recommends
policies, and strategies for improving efficiency and cost effectiveness of State
and district level communication for behaviour and community-led social change
2. In collaboration with UNICEF and government programme officers, designs
and manages the implementation of programme communication strategies aiming at: (a) behaviour and social change at individual/ household/ societal levels with policy makers and other key stakeholders; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations and other relevant stakeholders; (c) increased community participation in development programmes; and (d) advocacy with key decision-/policy-makers.
3. Identifies training needs and develops training materials and activities to build capacity in participatory & behaviour communication at various government levels, in support of programme sustainability. This also includes providing technical support to government counterparts in the development and appropriate use of programme communication for social development.
4. Develops partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of state level programme.
5. In collaboration with partners, organizes/manages the development, pre-testing and production of culturally relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery, including facilitating behaviour change, where necessary.
6. Manage all Communication for Development programme related supplies and procurement of services. Ensure timely disbursements of funds, monitors and submits financial and end use supplies status reports to Chief Field Office as required. Writes programme/project inputs for donor proposals, donor reports and other statutory reports required for programme management
7. Monitors and evaluates activities on the basis of applied communication research and frequent visits to project sites to provide technical guidance. Propose and monitors studies, surveys and evaluation activities as needed.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced university degree in the Social or Behavioral sciences (Communication, Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology)
• Minimum five years of progressively responsible work experience in the design, planning and management of strategic communication programmes for behavior and social change including experience in: communication planning for behavior development, behavior analysis, social mobilization, advocacy, participatory communication, development and production of creative materials, formative research, impact evaluation of communication interventions. Experience in inter-disciplinary approach in strategic communication with knowledge of UN and/or UNICEF’s work in humanitarian action an asset.
• Fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
• Proven skills in programme communication networking, advocacy and negotiation.
• Organize and implement training and capacity building.
• Clearly and concisely express ideas and concepts in written and oral form and to listen to and acknowledges others' perspectives and views.
• Excellent analytical skills to synthesize diverse sets of data and information and present it persuasively at official forums.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications
• Understanding of Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming.
• Understanding of international humanitarian affairs and humanitarian work.
• Knowledge of latest theory, methodology, technology and tools in the functional areas.
• Ability to undertake communication capacity building
• Knowledge about communication interventions under situations of emergency would be an asset.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com by 25th August 2010. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location applied for in the subject line of your e-mail/application. For more details of the posts and full job descriptions, visit the UNICEF India website at www.unicef.in and click on “Careers at UNICEF” at the bottom of the page. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.