Information Communications Technology Officer
Location: New Delhi
Closing Date: 3rd March 2010
Job code: UNICT
Purpose of the post:
Under the supervision of the ICT Manager, the ICT Officer (Operations) is responsible for providing business and ICT support and assist in the implementation of an office wide plan for India country office in Delhi and 13 state offices for information resource management, utilizing available resources, to maintain and provide efficient computerized information systems and services and to improve work effectiveness and productivity, consistent with the goals, objectives and strategies of the office and the organization.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. ICT Infrastructure:
Manage the ICT Infrastructure such as Servers, Desktops, Laptops, Printers and other IT equipment, excluding LAN/WAN and network equipment, in India Country Office, with specific reference to the operations at Delhi.
Ensure all the equipment is protected against virus by installing the latest security software and monitoring it regularly (every day) for any breach and take appropriate action.
Ensure backup of all server storage every day and store the same in safe and secured site outside the office as per the established guidelines.
2. End-user Support:
Provide effective support to all users in accordance with the established Service Level Agreement. Provide technical support to state ICT focal points. Ensure all calls are recorded, responded to promptly and resolved within the specified time frame. Escalate the problem to the ICT Manager / Chief of the section if required
Responsible for management of all applications such as India Intranet, Calendar, Telephone Directory, Trip Reports database, records management and other such applications hosted on the servers in India Country Office. Ensure security and appropriate backup of all the databases as per guidelines. Actively support the introduction and enhancement of office and business process automation initiatives.
4. Deployment of new HW & SW:
Responsible for deployment of new ICT software and hardware (e.g. Servers, Printers, Desktops, Laptops and other ICT equipment (excluding networking equipment) and upgrade the software and equipment as necessary.
Responsible for providing end-user training to all users at Delhi on the use of all UNICEF end-user applications including those installed on the individual desktops and laptops. Provide training on optimum use of messaging and collaboration systems, archiving etc. Through orientation inform new staff on correct interpretation and application of NYHQ ICT policies and guidelines.
6. Internal Knowledge Management:
Enhance and document ICT processes and procedures to improve consistency and maintain internal knowledge continuity and competency.
7. Networking with other ICT staff:
Network with other IT officers regionally and globally. Collaborate with other UN agencies to ensure that a common/ unified approach to Information Technology, Communications as well as major databases is worked out in a manner that is cost-effective and supportive of UN reforms.
8. Any other duties as required by the Supervisor
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced university degree in Electronics Engineering with specialized training in computer science, information systems or telecommunications. Theoretical foundations of computer science with practical applications of software, database, network, telecommunications and systems development. Specifically, specialized training in information systems technology, information systems concepts and processes, and organization functions and information management. Postgraduate training : in information systems principles, database management, structured systems analysis and design, information systems planning; operating system; principles of telecommunications; and LAN applications and environment.
• Two years of practical work experience at professional levels in support of office computerization, including the installation of and administration of LAN and telecommunications facilities. Experience in systematic methods of troubleshooting and analytical problem solving, providing assistance to users on ICT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools. Practical experience with various computer platforms and applications: operating systems, email and database systems, Microsoft Office product suites, Help Desk software, advanced PC/laptop/printer installation, configuration, troubleshooting and repairs. Work experience in providing ICT support to remote field offices in developing countries, experience in web/Intranet design and development an asset. Work experience in emergencies. Practical knowledge of computer programming, software information management, data processing applications, database development, network administration, data communications, telecommunications, hardware and software installation, service management, end-user assistance, preparation of end-user documentation and manuals. Knowledge of ITIL standards of services support. Knowledge of server operating systems, active directory services, network operating systems platforms. Systems roll outs and implementation in large scale ICT environment. Software development methodologies. Practices and principles of systems support. Practices and principles of ICT analysis, planning, design, implementation and problem resolution. Trends in information technologies and services management
• Excellent knowledge of English – both written and spoken. Good knowledge of Hindi language essential.
• Good judgment, initiative, high sense of responsibility and proven analytical and accounting skills
• Drive for results.
• Proven skills to plan manage and monitor the effective use of financial resources and fixed assets.
• Ability to work speedily and accurately to meet deadlines in preparation of management reports, etc. are essential
• Ability to identify and integrate the needs of the office automation, available resources and systems requirements and identify training needs of the staff.
• Ability to establish harmonious working relations in an international and multicultural environment.
• Ability to facilitate and lead flexi-teams.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 3rd March 2010. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. These vacancies are open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.