Location: New Delhi
Job code: UNCSP
Purpose of the post:
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Prepare a measurable and time-bound annual communication, advocacy and partnership work plan in support of the Polio Eradication Initiative (PEI), based on a situation analysis, epidemiology of the disease, expert technical advice and the proposed schedule of supplementary immunization activities. In implementing the annual strategy, develop, maintain, and implement a rolling quarterly advocacy and media management plan for PEI, indicating key upcoming events, threats, and opportunities that may be relevant to PEI, and propose specific proactive interventions with time line, action points, and accountabilities.
2. Provide regular briefings and intelligence on the media environment for advocacy and communication and opportunities to the polio partnership. Develop and sustain partnerships with professional health and medical associations, media associations and other civil society groups to promote polio eradication. Disseminate advocacy and communication monitoring findings on a regular basis through web-based and other communication technologies. Conduct and support media sensitization workshops and meetings at the national and sub-national level, in consultation with state offices.
3. Manage the conceptualization, development and implementation of an annual media campaign in support of National Immunization Days and sub-National Immunization Days, including the production of appropriate television, radio and print materials, and appropriate media release plans.
4. Develop a plan for celebrity endorsements for the polio programme and work, together with Advocacy and Partnerships, to ensure the regular participation and involvement of influential celebrities in the programme. Coordinate media briefings and ensure appropriate media coverage of events involving celebrities to improve positive reporting and visibility of the polio programme.
5. Conceptualize, develop, manage and disseminate a bi-monthly, electronic and web-based update on polio communication efforts in India, providing analysis and insight into field-based communication activities. Develop and manage production of audio/visual materials that document communication processes for polio eradication, including the development of film, photographic and web-based features on polio communication.
6. Provide structured support to the state offices on media management and advocacy. Manage media queries related to the Polio Eradication Initiative and coordinate with partners on the sharing of information and data on polio epidemiology and programme implementation with media. Upon request, serve as a UNICEF spokesperson with media on polio eradication.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced university degree in communications, journalism, public relations or equivalent professional work experience in advocacy and communication combined with a relevant university degree in the social sciences.
Application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV should be sent to email@example.com before 24th February 2010. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly mention the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.