Procurement Specialist (Hand Pumps)Jobe Code - PSN11
Location: New Delhi
Closing Date: 29th July 2009
Purpose of the post:
Under the general supervision of the Chief, Supply & Procurement Section, India and Technical supervision of Technical Officer, Water, Sanitation and Education Section in Supply Division at Copenhagen, the incumbent will use specialized knowledge, in communication with counterparts in field offices and Programme Division in establishing technical specifications, standards and guidelines for a group of commodities for equipment and supplies which are requisitioned by UNICEF programmes.
The incumbent will be responsible for the regional (ROSA) procurement of water and sanitation items and global procurement of handpumps and accessories for and on behalf of other UNICEF country offices. The incumbent will also provide capacity building in the country offices procuring deep well handpumps and related products.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Ensures all procurement activities are in compliance with the UNICEF Financial Rules and Regulations, Book G, and all other applicable procurement procedures.
2. Advises requesting offices on technical matters relating to the commodity of specialization. Clarifies inadequate specifications with requesting office, proposing substitute or alternative items as necessary.
3. Conducts market research, provides analyses, background information, recommendations for improving the suitability and range of products within specialized area, resulting in more appropriate equipment, better delivery and lower costs. Investigates world markets, maintains resource files on a global basis, recommending new areas of purchase for optimal currency utilization and programme sustainability.
4. Issues tender invitations to acceptable suppliers, evaluates quotations, clarifies offers and negotiates with suppliers, as appropriate.
5. Manages Quality Assurance contracts & activities, for the review, evaluation, inspection of products, supplier premises, and processes.
6. Makes recommendations for finalization of purchases, adjudicates, prepares and defends submissions to the India Country Office Contracts Review Committee.
7. Establishes Long Term Agreements and Direct Order Contracts.
8. Issue purchase orders, arrange all aspects of shipment and pre shipment inspection, monitor supplier performance and delivery and make payment to suppliers and freight forwarders following delivery.
9. Reviews and provides recommendations for Local Procurement of hand pumps by Field Offices in accordance with directives issued by Supply Division from time to time;
10. In relation to hand pumps and accessories, prepares all information materials including updating of specifications and pricings for use by HQs, Field Offices or Regional Offices.
11. Researches, evaluates and promotes new products, and promotes development of new technologies when appropriate, to meet programme requirements.
12. Any other duties or assignments as requested by the supervisors at New Delhi and Supply Division, Copenhagen.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Advanced university degree in Mechanical Engineering or Science.
• Minimum 5 years’ progressively responsible professional work experience relevant to hand pump or other water and sanitation equipments.
Knowledge of worldwide sources, suppliers and markets at asset.
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
Knowledge of local language at the duty station an asset.
• Membership in professional associations relevant to commodity group.
Current knowledge of the latest developments and technology in the field of work.
• Technical and communications skills required to translate the same as needed in the bid documents.
• Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas as well as transfer knowledge and skills.
• Knowledge of worldwide procurement, contract negotiations and administration.
• Ability to make timely and quality judgments and decisions.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Proven ability to work as part of a team.
• Drive for Results.
• Able to work independently and problem solving oriented.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements may send their application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV by e-mail to email@example.com before the closing date.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly indicate the title and job code of the post in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged. United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the world’s leading organization working for the rights of hildren, invites applications for the following position: