Closing Date: 29th July 2009
Purpose of the post:
Under the supervision of the Senior Operations Assistant, performs specific accounting and finance functions related to field office Imprest cash and Finance Budget.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Responsible for safe custody of petty cash, cheques and all financial and accounting documents and records in accordance with established procedures and as directed by Senior Operations Assistant, when required. Responsible for monitoring re-order levels for cheque books and receipt books and their record keeping.
2. Monitors day to day bank balances. Maintains regular contact with local banks to clarify questions pertaining to office bank accounts. Deposits in the bank all receipts of money/cheques/drafts on a day-to-day basis. Proposes to Senior Operations Assistant, as and when necessary, amounts to be replenished from India Country Office (ICO) for Field Office Imprest.
3. Process local travel claims of staff ensuring payments/adjustments are in accordance with UNICEF Rules and regulations. Provides copies of processed claims to the concerned staff member.
4. Process payments to staff members, consultants, temporary employees and other claimants. Check all receipts and payments are in accordance with UNICEF Financial rules and regulations.
5. Supports Senior Operations Assistant in the timely closure of monthly accounts and submission of monthly data to Admin. & Finance Section at the India Country Office using prevailing computerized financial software systems. Monitors deadlines as appropriate and take appropriate action.
6. Process programme requests for payment/reimbursement against approved programme budget allocations. Calculates and compiles cost estimates and assets in the preparation of the operational budget and year-end outstanding budgetary obligations, as instructed by Senior Operations Assistant. Check and sign transmittal memo and ensure onforwardance to payees.
7. Process POL excise refund claims relating to the Field Office.
8. Assists Senior Operations Assistant in the preparation of monthly status reports and analysis of implementation and utilization of operational budget. Prepares other periodic management reports related to travel, overtime, temporary assistance, etc. Prepares routine correspondence and replies to routine queries from ICO and field staff.
9. Self development: The incumbent is expected to know most up-to-date UNICEF Financial rules and regulations and other relevant operating procedures. Considering the rapid developments taking place in the computer applications and allied information technology, he/she is required to update himself/herself regularly.
10. Performs other duties as required from time to time.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• Complete Secondary education and knowledge of accounting procedures.
• Five years experience in Finance and Accounts.
• Ability to operate calculator and other machines used to maintain accounts.
• Ability to use standard software such as Word and Spreadsheet essential.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
. Knowledge of the local languages at the duty station is an asset.
• Good knowledge of banking procedures
• Proven computer skills in particular of Windows based applications essential.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
• Initiative, passion and commitment to UN’s mission and professional values.
• Ability to work as a part of a team.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements may send their application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV by e-mail to The State Representative, UNICEF, 37/15, 2nd Main Road, Kasturba Nagar, Adyar, Chennai-600020 before closing date.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly indicate the title of the post i.e. Finance Assistant-Chennai on the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged.
This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only. UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.