Programme Communication Officer (Polio) - Lucknow
Job Code- PCL07
Closing Date: 14th July 2009
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Establish and maintain regular contact with sub-division and district officials and partners at the district level through frequent consultation and field visits.
2. Monitor programme implementation, help in solving problems and promote implementation of the set of interventions for the SMNet and communication initiatives for polio eradication
3. Collaborate with SMNet field management to identify interventions and social mobilization and programme communication activities necessary for improved implementation of polio eradication initiatives in both rural and urban areas
4. Provide technical assistance and support to a team of professionals and through them support implementing authorities in effective implementation of identified and agreed activities
5. Support in developing social mobilization activities focusing on reaching the unreached and underserved groups
6. Coordinate and liaise with various partners, including Government of UP, WHO-NPSP, NGOs etc on social mobilization activities
7. Direct, supervise and coordinate the work plans of the sub regions furnished by the SRCs, monitor progress on a monthly basis to ensure objectives are met
8. Support the development of adequate management information system for all the social mobilization activities
9. Promote intensive and innovative activities in high risk districts to bring about increase in coverage during the SNID/NID
10. Assign tasks to field workers, monitor performance, complete the evaluation process as required
11. Provide inputs to effective, innovative training methodologies for field workers of the SMNet (SRCs, SMCs, BMCs) and DUCs.
12. Overall responsibility for Bihar office’s production, distribution and monitoring of IEC materials
13. Coordinate programme evaluation efforts ensuring timely review on course corrections and of current program strategies
14. Direct, supervise and coordinate the preparation of all programme reports required for the donor reports
15. Facilitate in developing and making effective use of programme monitoring systems ensuring that information generated leads to decisions to improve project performance and feedback to the field staff
16. Ensure monitoring and evaluation mechanisms are developed for mass media tools
17. Provide inputs to fund raising efforts, donor reports and external field visits as required
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required: -
• University degree in development communication, behaviour science or public health/health education or sociology. Familiarity with the theoretical basis and the practical applications of behavioral development communication to strategic planning.
• Two (2) years communication experience in planning, managing and assessing communication projects. Polio experience preferred. Experience in development communication in the UP context also preferred. Experience in coordination of a multi-stakeholder process. Demonstrated skills in negotiations with government officials.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of the local languages at the duty station is an asset.
• Knowledge of current developments in the fields of communication theory, motivational psychology, adult learning theory, indigenous media, community organization and participation.
• Training in strategic communication planning, behaviour analysis, formative research and evaluation of communication interventions.
• Proven skills in communication, networking, advocacy and negotiation.
• Experience working in and with the news media
• Ability to organize and implement training, including development of curricula and methodologies.
• Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
• Knowledge of computer systems and applications.
• Initiative, passion and commitment to UNICEF’s mission and professional values.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Proven ability to work as part of a team.
• Drive for Results.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements may send their application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV by e-mail to email@example.com before the closing date.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly indicate the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.