Child Protection Specialist - Patna
Closing Date: 14th July 2009
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Influencing Policy
Analyses and recommends policies, systems of management, resource allocation and coordination systems around child protection issues and programmes.
2. Building Partnerships
Convenes strategic partnerships – among government, nongovernment and community based organiztions to impact on overall child protection policies, to support child protection programmes and leverage resources in the State
Interacts with State, national and international agencies and commissions, on the management of child protection programmes/projects. Participates in meetings with Ministries/Departments responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements.
Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation.
3. Programme Implementation
With guidance from the Section, proposes designs for child protection programmes. When agreed, prepares, implements, monitors and evaluates UNICEF assisted programme or specific project(s) in child protection.
Analyzes and evaluates data and/or takes corrective action when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives.
Contributes to and enables the concurrent monitoring and reporting on performance indicators of Government flagship programmes and /or UNICEF–NGO managed programmes under the Project Co-operation Agreement.
Integrates input/advice from the technical section in Delhi
4. Monitoring and Evaluation
Facilitates the review of systems and capacity related to delivery of services to children and the interventions to improve such systems and capacities.
Undertakes field visits to monitor programmes (including cash and supply assistance), as well as conducting periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
Identifies and recommends necessary action for programme adjustments. Provides advice and assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning and management of programme/projects.
Contributes to the preparation of the Situation Analysis, led by SPME, by compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information, and writing chapters of the Analysis.
5. Work plan development
Responsible for the development of the child protection work plan in the State, and ensures compliance with specific assigned objectives. Provides guidance and support to subordinate staff to manage and implement projects.
4. Capacity Building and technical assistance for Government
Assists government authorities and nongovernment partners to plan and organize capacity building programmes with respect to child protection. Identifies training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of programme/projects.
Provides technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing.
5. Inter-sectoral collaboration
Proactively collaborates within state and/or sector with programme colleagues to give and receive knowledge and assistance. Pooling resources for more effective programming.
Assists in development of appropriate communication and information strategy to support and/or advocate child protection programme development.
Assists in the planning and formulation of Behaviour Development/Behaviour Communication Change initiatives with respect to child protection to enable more effective behaviour change.
Supports/undertakes research that provides tracking on programmes of social inclusion
6. Supplies and Cash Assistance
Coordinates with the Operations/Supply staff/programme support on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, as per UNICEF rules and procedures monitors and submits financial status reports to Programme Manager or Chief Field Office as required.
7. Report Writing
Writes programme/project inputs for donor proposals, status reports required for management Board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required: -
• Master’s degree in any of the following: Social Sciences, Child Development, Education, or other fields related to the work of UNICEF.
• Five years progressively responsible professional work experience in social development, project administration, monitoring and evaluation.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of the local languages at the duty station is an asset.
• In depth understanding and knowledge of the child protection issues and sector
• Current knowledge of development issues, strategies, as well as programming policies and procedures in development cooperation, in particular pertaining to child protection.
• A strong familiarity as to how public administration systems affect delivery of results for children
• Understanding of social mobilization and behavior change communication
• Understanding of the importance and role of partnerships
• Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills.
• Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
• Report writing
• Training ability.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation, and various office applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment, and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements may send their application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly indicate the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application.
Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.