Water & Environmental Sanitation Officer
JOB CODE -UNWES-01
Closing Date: 24th June 2009
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
Technical Assistance for Programme Development:-
a) Under the leadership of the WES Specialist (L3), provide technical assistance to develop WES project components focusing on (i) home hygiene, sanitation and drinking water safety (ii) WASH in schools and (iii) family/community managed water supplies and water resources.
b) In focus districts, ensure that WES interventions are supportive of those developed by other UNICEF sections, working in particular with health, nutrition and programme communication (U3 child survival) and with education and programme communication (girl‘s education and school and Anganwadi sanitation).
Systems Strengthening and Capacity Building:-
a) Review the impact, inclusiveness and sustainability of the flagship programmes like the Total Sanitation Campaign (TSC), the National Rural Drinking Water Programme (NRDWP), Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA); review related monitoring systems and identify gaps for capacity building.
b) Assist the state departments and district authorities to strengthen their programmes and inter-departmental convergence to achieve measurable improvements in the adoption of key hygiene practices. Adopt and develop appropriate guidelines and training for TSC, WASH in schools and water quality/safety programmes.
Project Monitoring and Administration for Quality Assurance:-
a) Ensure the accurate and timely input of programme information in programme management system (PROMS). Monitor Direct Cash Transfers to Government, liquidations and supplies. Ensure the generation and issuance of programme/project status reports, budget review, annual reports, programme analysis, etc. required for management and donors for monitoring and evaluation purposes. Identify and review constraints, taking corrective action when necessary to meet project objectives.
b) Coordinate with the Operations/Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance ensuring proper and timely UNICEF and Government accountability. Certify disbursements of fund, Monitor and submit financial status report to WES Specialist and Chief Field Office as required.
Partnership Development and Knowledge Management:-
a) Establish, facilitate and reinforce effective partnerships and foster collaboration with the Department of Panchayati Raj, Tribal Welfare Department, the State Water and Sanitation Mission (SWSM), SSA,Municipal Authorities, and credible academic and research partners, NGO’s and other institutions to enhance advocacy efforst and to improve convergence and the impact of programme interventions.
b) Contribute to knowledge sharing for evidence based policy and programme influencing. Emergency Preparedness:- a) Contribute to the capacity building of counterparts and partners to prepare for and respond to a major emergency. Emphasis being on preparedness planning, training and pre-positioning of essential supplies to the needs of the most vulnerable community members at risk from exclusion in disasters.
Qualifications, Experience and competencies required:
• University Degree in Public Health/ Civil Engineering (Water and Sanitation)/ Social Development or related technical field
• Minimum two years of professional work experience in rural water supply and environmental sanitation. Experience at state and district level including project formulation, design and implementation, monitoring and evaluation. Experience of community mobilization and participatory monitoring an asset.
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of local language of the duty station an asset.
• Advanced knowledge of the theory and practice of community participation, decentralized management, and demand responsive approaches to rural water supply
• Knowledge of technical and non-technical aspects of rural sanitation, including social marketing and a range of sanitation technologies including solid and liquid waste disposal
• Knowledge of current developments in the fields of water quality mitigation and assurance, including qualitative risk approach for managing arsenic, fluoride and bacteriological contamination.
• Ability to prepare and deliver specialist training in any of the technical areas identified in this JD. • Sensitive to issues of social exclusion and practical measures that can strengthen the participation of women and marginalized groups in water supply, sanitation and hygiene related initiatives
• Familiar with national policy and guidelines relating to water supply and sanitation, and institutional set-up at state and district level
• Demonstrable analytical and planning skills
• Good communication and negotiation skills, with emphasis on report writing in English
• Good computer skills, including MS-Word and Excel
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization.
• Drive for result.
• Proven ability to work as part of a team.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements may send their application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly indicate the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.