Closing Date: 24th June 2009
Major Duties and Responsibilities:-
1. Propose and guide state specific programmatic strategies to improve education quality and to overcome exclusion in order to reduce disparities in education and promote child-friendly schools and systems; provide and facilitate technical support to state partners; adapt national frameworks into state context with guidance from Education section/network.
2. Establish and maintain partnerships with Government and NGO programme implementers at state and district levels; support and provide assistance to government officials and other partners in the planning and management of Education interventions and advocate for effective strategies and methods to strengthen the education system; represent UNICEF at meetings and workshops advocating priority issues.
3. Collaborate with state, district, Panchayat and Municipal Authorities and programme colleagues in the UNICEF Field Office in (I) programme development,(ii) formulation of plans of action and implementation of activities and (iii)setting up monitoring systems of projects underway.
4. Undertake field visits to UNICEF project sites, assess local conditions and resources, monitor inputs and make recommendations to improve programmatic outcomes; conduct periodic Programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
5. Manage state education programme administration; assist implementing partners in identification and selection of timely supply and non-supply assistance activities; disbursement and justification of fund utilization with state/ district level agencies; carry out requisitions. 6. Provide support for planning, implementation and monitoring of training, awareness building and social mobilization activities under Education programme, ensuring child and family participation and social inclusion; identify training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability for the achievement of the programmes objectives.
7. Support the Chief, Field Office and draft relevant sections of reports (required for donors, management, Annual Reports, etc). Ensure the accurate and timely input of programme information data in the required formats. Periodically evaluate impact of UNICEF inputs under /Education.
8. Help in the collection and analysis of data for the Situation Analysis and drafting chapters of the Analysis relating to the Education/ sector, programme planning, management, monitoring and evaluation purposes; provide regular updates and data/statistics on education and related socio-economic and developmental issues in the state.
9. Prepare education work plans; provide input to the education network on state and thematic education issues; prepare periodic reports and inputs for state review and action.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies required:
• University degree in Education/Social Sciences/ Development Studies. Interdisciplinary training in social sciences an asset.
• Minimum two years’ progressively responsible professional work experience in education and social development programmes, project administration, monitoring and evaluation. Experience working with national/state government involved in education, desirable.
• Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of local language of the duty station an asset.
• Communication, analytical and training skills.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
• Current knowledge of development issues, policies, as well as social programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation in the relevant area.
• Proven ability to conceptualize, develop, plan and manage programmes as well as to transfer knowledge and skills.
• Managerial, analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
• Knowledge and use of information technology, word processing, graphics presentations etc. as well as management Information Systems and databases. Knowledge and training on use of work planning tools an asset.
• Planning and monitoring skills; ability to organize work and projects.
• Drive for result.
• Proven ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to work harmoniously in an international and multi-cultural environment.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements may send their application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV by e-mail to email@example.com before the closing date.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly indicate the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.