Health Specialist - Child SurvivalJob Code-UNHLT-01
Duty Station: New Delhi
Closing Date: 24th June 2009
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Analyses and recommends policies, child health systems of management, and coordination systems related to child health programming. Assist MOHFW-GOI and state government in implementation of national and sub-national activities for strengthening newborn and child health programs in India, including advocacy, planning and management support. Assist in monitoring and evaluation related to child health programs
2. Provide consultation and assistance to UNICEF field offices and state governments on technical and programmatic issues related to child health. Provide technical inputs for capacity building in child health at national and state level. Participate in designing methodology and materials for child health
3. Fosters partnerships for child health activities with government, other agencies, professional bodies, technical institutions and NGO networks. Assists in the development and/or introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management and evaluation. Develop and implement strategy and activities at national level, and facilitate and coordinate them at sub national level, to strengthen capacity for evidence based programming of UNICEF in child survival and other health initiatives in the context of health sector reform.
4. Undertakes field visits to monitor child survival programs aiming at increased and more equitable coverage of strategic interventions, as well as conducting periodic reviews with government counterparts and other partners. Identify the needs and provide technical support and backstopping for interventions related to IMNCI, ARI, diarrhea, care of sick newborns and other aspects of quality child health service delivery in the UNICEF supported integrated districts.
5. In consultation with the Section Chief and other POs, represent UNICEF at meetings and liaison with the Government of India and other partners for Newborn and child health programs
6. Identifies and recommends necessary action for adjustments in child health strategy. Assists government authorities, in partnership with training institutions, to plan and organize capacity building. Identifies training needs for the purpose of capacity building and sustainability of Child health interventions. Provides technical expertise as required, facilitates learning exchanges as well as policy influencing. Provides advice and assistance to government officials and other UN agencies and partners and bilateral governments in the planning and management of child health interventions. Contributes to the preparation of the child health Situation Analysis, compiling data, analyzing and evaluating information.
7. Participate in the development and monitoring of annual work plans, budgets, reports and performance reviews and requirements in child health. Assist in the creation of programmatic indicators and data for decision making at the high risk districts/blocks. Take responsibility of coordination and interaction with POs/APOs at state level to analyze surveillance and monitoring data. Offer technical assistance to plan and implement state/district/area-specific efforts to guide integrated newborn and child survival-related programming.
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies required:
• M.B.B.S. with master’s degree in pediatrics, public health or related technical field. Familiarity with the theoretical basis and the practical applications of public health principles, epidemiology and disease surveillance, as well as the planning and management of PHC services, with particular emphasis on delivery of community and facility based services.
• Minimum five years progressively responsible field work experience in child health programs required. Previous experience of working within UNICEF or other UN agencies and in international settings, preferred.
• Fluency in English essential. Knowledge of Hindi an asset. Knowledge of the local language desirable.
• Proven ability to conceptualize, develop, plan and manage programmes as well as to transfer knowledge and skills.
• Supervisory and managerial skills; proven ability to lead a team.
• Good conceptual and analytical abilities.
• Communication skills to advocate negotiate and promote UNICEF’s concerns related to environmental sanitation in rural as well as in the urban poor contexts.
• Ability to network and develop alliances in support of UNICEF’s aims.
• Knowledge and use of standard office automation applications related towards processing, graphics presentations etc. as well as Management Information
• Systems and databases. Knowledge and training on use of work planning tools an asset.
• High proficiency in the application of computers and electronic data management and interpretation.
• Excellent writing skills with special focus on report writing.
• Drive for results.
• Proven ability to work as part of a team.
• Ability to work harmoniously in an international and multi-cultural environment.
Only candidates meeting the above requirements may send their application consisting of a cover letter and an up-to-date CV by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date.
In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please clearly indicate the Job Code of the post and location in the subject line of your e-mail/application. Only applications of short listed candidates will be acknowledged. This vacancy is open to Indian Nationals only.
UNICEF is a non-smoking working environment. Applications from qualified women are encouraged.