Child Development & Nutrition District Coordinator
(Promotion of IYCF Practices for Children with Special Needs with focus on HIV Infected)
Location: Krishnagiri, Tamil Nadu
Official Travel: Travel within Krishnagiri to blocks and travel to Chennai (maximum of 5 days in a month).
Duration: 11 months
Closing Date: 28 January 2014
Background, Rationale and Purpose of Assignment:
One-third children in the preschool age continue to be undernourished in Tamil Nadu. The link between under nutrition and infant young child feeding is well established as there is 60% of all deaths in these children is directly or indirectly due to under nutrition.
In Tamil Nadu, 40.2% of children are exclusively breast fed till six months of age. (CES Report, 2009). Complementary feeding is seen to begin too soon or too late with foods which are often nutritionally inadequate and unsafe.
Although the severe nutritional consequences of HIV infection in adults and children has been recognised for many years, gaps remain in the evidence-base for defining effective interventions to prevent and treat HIV-associated malnutrition in resource constrained settings.
In Tamil Nadu, which is the first state to report HIV positive case in 1986, presently, has 24,300 people affected with HIV. Of these 3477 are found to be children. The state established Tamil Nadu State AIDS Control Society (TNSACS) in 1994 mainly to detect HIV positive cases.
Thus, in the above backdrop and under the broad agenda of child survival and development, Child Development and Nutrition (CDN) Section of UNICEF, Chennai Office proposes to undertake the present project in the districts of Chennai and Krishnagiri in Tamil Nadu. The present Terms of Reference is developed for the support of District Co-ordinator to be based in the district of Krishnagiri.
To strengthen government Institutions in Krishnagiri district and support delivery of nutrition services for HIV affected children under two years of age.
a. Situational Analysis (SITAN) of HIV services and support for treatment through PCOE, ART and LAC centers in pilot districts.
b. Recording and close scrutiny of existing knowledge, skills, equipment and job-aids (IEC and counseling), and in management of programme interventions.
c. Support data collection for baseline for HIV/AIDS affected mothers and high-risk/affected children
d. On data obtained from SITAN and baseline.
i. Support capacity development of Nutritional anthropometry and
ii. Clinical examination.
e. Develop training package based service providers on IYCF and nutrition services for HIV mothers and their children under two years of age for:
i. Service providers in Institutions
ii. Field level functionaries under health, ICDS
iii. Mothers and care-takers.
f. Monitor IYCF promotion at all levels (institution and community) and support delivery and utilization of services by service providers and mothers with HIV and their children (affected and or ‘at risk’) in PCoE, ART/LACs.
g. Provide support for routine data recording, compilation and recording observations as the activities progress in institutions and in the communities.
h. Organize and facilitate mid-post data collection under the project.
i. Provide inputs from field level experiences and learnings to study the overall impact of the integrated package of services for treatment of HIV and growth promotion on the nutritional status of children.
1. Organize and facilitate Situation Analysis of the existing Institutions (ART and LINC Centers, N=8) through activities such as tool development, Training of Trainers (TOT).
2. Development of training package adapted from the standard guidelines and prepared in English and Tamil languages.
3. Co-ordinate and support state level activities such as state consultations, Master Trainings and state reviews, along with District Co-ordinator for Chennai, under the guidance of the Supervisor.
4. Support Capacity Development of service-providers in Institutions and at grass-root level such as ICDS, NRHM and District AIDS Control Society in the assigned district or in the blocks as required.
5. Co-ordinate and facilitate delivery of integrated package of services for nutrition focusing IYCF and care behaviour along with medical services mainly in institutions and also in the community.
6. Facilitate pre and baseline data collection through planning execution and monitoring of nutrition surveys, nutritional anthropometry, and clinical examination of children affected or at risk of HIV/AIDs.
7. Undertake travels blocks of Chennai district as per the need- and visit centers catering to HIV infected mothers and their infected/at-risk children with nutrition interventions and to complement the efforts of District Co-ordinator in Chennai.
8. Support data recording, compilation and reporting at regular intervals on service utilization.
9. Support and organize frequent reviews at state, district and block levels
Deliverables with Timeline:
Month 1: SITAN planned & initiated in Krishnagiri- State Consultation held in Chennai.
Month 2: SITAN completed, Baseline planned, tools developed - District Orientation completed
Month 3: Baseline completed in 8 Institutions (with programme implementers & service -providers)
Month 4: Baseline completed in community with HIV+ve Mothers/ Care-takers-their children
Month 5: Training package developed in English & Tamil (refer standard Module- WHO/UNICEF)
Month 6: Training package printed in Tamil and Training schedule ready for service providers.
Month 7: Training initiated and 8 batches completed in the district for personnel of 8 Institutions - CDPOs Supervisors, SHNs and CHNs.
Month 8: Plan of Activities (PoA) prepared during trainings and & implemented in Institutions
Month 9: Develop Reporting tools- Trainings facilitated and supported by block officials for AWCs & PHC field functionaries in 10 blocks
Month 10: Trainings completed & PoA by AWWs for mothers prepared and implemented
Month 11: IYCF Activities initiated & monitored in Institutions- AWCs & submit progress reports.
Qualifications & Experience required
• Advanced university degree in Nutrition, life sciences, public health, social sciences.
• Experience of working with HIV/AID affected populations especially mothers and their children under 2 years.
• One year experience of working with key health and ICDS flagship programmes at all levels.
• Skills in field surveys and nutrition assessment (anthropometry) required.
• Previous experience of working with UN organization will be desirable.
• Comfortable with MS office, Data management, analysis, documentation, & communication
• Language proficiency; English reading and writing skills. Additional knowledge of Tamil writing and spoken skills would be an asset.
(1) Qualified female/male candidates are requested to please indicate their ability and availability to undertake the terms of reference above.
(2) Your application should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by COB 28 January 2014 with subject line "CDN District Coordinator, Krishnagiri, TN" in separate files (not to exceed a total size of 4 MB per email):
a) An application letter, CV and P11 form in PDF format (which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.UNICEF.org/india/overview_1440.htm)
b) A financial proposal in PDF format indicating deliverable based fee as per template attached. Download
(3) The financial proposals of only those candidates, who are found technically responsive, will be opened.
(4) Only short-listed candidates will be called for test/interview (if applicable). Any attempt to unduly influence UNICEF’s selection process will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
(5) Joint applications of two or more individuals are not accepted.