Senior State Consultant for Child Rights Project
Position: Senior State Consultant for Child Rights Project, Eastern UP
Location: Lucknow, UP
Official Travel: Travel to other districts in project area. Outstation travel for learning and presenting progress maybe required.
Duration: 11 months (February to December 2014)
Closing Date: 16 December 2013
Background, Rationale and Purpose of Assignment:
Uttar Pradesh is home to the carpet industry mainly spread across the three districts of Sonbhadra, Mirzapur, and Jaunpur. The socio-economic profile of the carpet producing districts reflects high density of socially excluded, principally, Scheduled Caste (SC) and Backward Caste (BC) populations, low literacy rates, high infant mortality, marginal land holdings, and nearly half the population living below the poverty line (INDICUS, Baseline Survey Report: 2008).
UNICEF, with the support of the IKEA Foundation and in partnership with Office of Labour Commissioner, has started implementing Protection of a Child Rights project in 2010 in Sonbhadra, Mirzapur and Jaunpur districts. The project aims at creating a protective environment for children, with a particular emphasis on their rights to education and protection in three districts in Uttar Pradesh – notably Jaunpur, Mirzapur, and Sonbhadra across 5160 villages in these three districts. UNICEF is also directly partnering with 28 implementing partners to reach the entire project area.
The immediate objectives for the project are:
1. Child protection structures in place addressing child rights and child protection issues, especially child labour
2. Knowledge enhanced and attitude changed of families and communities in 5,160 villages for the promotion of child rights and the protection of children against violence, exploitation and abuse
3. Quality education available for all children 06-14 years
4. Enhanced access to service providers and social protection schemes by vulnerable families.
5. Women empowered to champion/promote rights of children, especially those from socially excluded groups
The current proposed consultancy will contribute to the following objectives:
• Support to implementation and monitoring of the IKEA Foundation funded Child Rights Project in the 3 districts of Mirzapur, Sonbhadra and Jaunpur in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
• Provide capacity building inputs, technical support to the Eastern UP Child Rights Project in areas including: community processes for protection of child rights, using women’s groups as tools of social change and social norms around child rights in particular the right to protection from child labour and other forms of exploitation, violence, and abuse
• Monitor the work of the NGO partners and maintain quality assurance of activities as per the proposal guidelines.
• Support in documentation of the project related outcomes and support the timely completion of the endline survey of the project.
1. Provide support to the implementation and monitoring of IKEA Foundation funded child protection project in the three districts of Sonebhadra, Mirzapur, Jaunpur. Assist in liaising with government counterparts, resource agencies; together with these agencies develop innovative approaches and operational plans for programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
2. Will be responsible for providing capacity building inputs, technical support to the project in areas including: community processes for protection of child rights, using women’s groups as tools of social change and social norms around child rights in particular the right to protection from child labour and other forms of exploitation, violence, and abuse. Also provide support for the timely completion of the baseline survey and all other project closure related documentation.
3. Undertake regular field visits to project sites to guide field – based project management staff on key outcomes of the project and interact with government and project stakeholders to ensure that activities are underway in line with the goals set out in the project action plan.
4. Assist in the preparation of project status reports and donor reports; development of key indicators against which outputs/intermediate results will be measured; development and establishment of a monitoring system that would facilitate UNICEF, IKEA Foundation and government and non-governmental partners to achieve targets set out in the project plan of action.
5. Coordinate joint review meetings at district and state level with the administration and Labour department and also coordinate monthly project review meetings with district consultants
6. Work closely with the District Administration to ensure the timely delivery of quality services to communities and sensitize government functionaries at the district level to promote children’s and women’s rights.
• Monthly plans of tasks to be undertaken along with monthly action taken reports.
• Regular updation of the M&E framework of the project in liaison with other state consultants
• Case studies on a monthly basis to be compiled
• Minutes of meetings held at district and state level
• Field monitoring visit reports
• Finalization of baseline survey report and documentation of best practices
Qualifications & Experience required
b) Work Experience
Five years’ professional and interdisciplinary work experience in project management including monitoring and coordinating large and integrated women and child focused projects.
Understanding of child protection issues, especially in Uttar Pradesh
Demonstrated leadership qualities and ability to work in a complex political, social and economic environment desired.
Good understanding, and experience of, working with social inclusion issues; working with tribal populations would be an added advantage.
Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of community based needs and participatory action planning processes and theories of social and behaviour change communication.
Good report writing skills and documentation skills highly desired.
Prior experience on training and capacity building and working with civil society networks.
Demonstrated experience developing and establishing integrated monitoring tools.
Sound knowledge of results based management techniques and methodologies.
c) Languages (Indicate the language requirements.)
Fluency in English and Hindi required.
(1) Qualified female/male candidates are requested to please indicate their ability and availability to undertake the terms of reference above.
(2) Your application should be sent to email@example.com by COB 16 December 2013 with subject line "Senior State Consultant for Child Rights Project, Eastern UP" in separate files (not to exceed a total size of 4 MB per email):
a) An application letter, CV and P11 form in PDF format (which can be downloaded from our website (download)
b) A financial proposal in PDF format indicating deliverable based fee as per template attached. (download)
(3) The financial proposals of only those candidates, who are found technically responsive, will be opened.
(4) Only short-listed candidates will be called for test/interview (if applicable). Any attempt to unduly influence UNICEF’s selection process will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
(5) Joint applications of two or more individuals are not accepted.