Consultant - Development of Continuous and Comprehensive Evaluation (CCE) Booklet 1 for Teachers and Administrators
Location: New Delhi or any other city with travel to different states as per need
Duration: 4 months
Closing Date: 16 September 2013
Purpose of Assignment & Background
The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (RTE) Act, implemented on 1st April 2010, marks a historic moment for the children of India. The Act guarantees the right for every child aged 6 to 14 to receive quality education, aiming for the holistic development of children’s physical and mental abilities to the fullest extent, without any trauma, fear or anxiety, without corporal punishment or mental harassment.
In this way the teacher can identify early on which children are facing difficulties in learning, and can provide individual help to children who need it. The teacher also immediately comes to know what needs to be improved or changed in her teaching method.
However, systems and teachers across the country have been struggling to gain conceptual clarity and practical understanding of what a viable model of CCE looks like in practice, and how this can be implemented in their schools. Many myths and misconceptions have arisen among teachers, parents, administrators and educational planners, about what is the true spirit behind the CCE approach and how it can be implemented in a way that does not increase the burden on children and on teachers.
To develop a user-friendly booklet for teachers (30-40 pages) clarifying the essence of the CCE approach and CCE good practices that can be implemented in early primary classrooms, with a separate supplement booklet intended for educational administrators (10 pages)
The following major tasks will need to be accomplished:
1. Prepare detailed outline of Booklet for Administrators, with all sections headings and sub-sections including descriptions and key points under each sub-section
2. Provide support in finalizing education module for Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration
3. Review successful models/ good practices of CCE around India to be highlighted in the booklets
4. Prepare first draft of CCE Booklet for Teachers - Part 1: Introductory chapters on approach to CCE (overall rationale, principles and strategies)
5. Prepare first draft of CCE Booklet for Administrators – Part 2: Monitoring and strengthening of CCE implementation (Draft 1)
6. Conceptualize ideas for illustrations, find illustrator and communicate ideas, review drafts and provide feedback for finalization of illustrations and layout
7. Coordinate submission of final print-ready version of both CCE booklets
The consultant would need to work closely and collaboratively with one other consultant to be selected for this task, in order to ensure timely submission of all deliverables.
Key Deliverables and Timeline
1. Detailed outline of Booklet for Administrators (with all sections headings and sub-sections including descriptions and key points under each sub-section); and draft revised outline of education module for Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) (Month 1)
2. First draft of CCE Booklet for Teachers - Part 1: Introductory chapters on approach to CCE (overall rationale, principles and strategies) (Month 2)
3. First draft of CCE Booklet for Administrators – Part 2: How to monitor and strengthen CCE implementation in the state/district; and final print-ready version of Education Module for LBSNAA (Month 3)
4. Coordinate and submit final print-ready version of both CCE booklets (including revised content, layout and illustrations) (Month 4)
Qualifications & Experience required
· Minimum Masters’ level degree in education, and preferably doctoral degree
· Specialization and experience in elementary education and pedagogy
· Teaching experience at elementary level
· Strong understanding of continuous assessment (its underlying principles, approaches, and practices)
· Experience in preparing modules in the field of education and specifically on assessment, at state or national level
(1) Qualified female/male candidates are requested to please indicate their ability and availability to undertake the terms of reference above.
(2) Your application should be sent to email@example.com by COB 16th September 2013 with subject line "Consultancy for Development of CCE Booklet 1 for Teachers and Administrators, New Delhi" in separate files (not to exceed a total size of 4 MB):
a) A cover letter, CV and P11 form (which can be downloaded from our website at http://www.UNICEF.org/india/overview_1440.htm)
b) A financial proposal indicating deliverable based fee as per template attached.
(3) The financial proposals of only those candidates, who are found technically responsive, will be opened.
(4) Please note, offers without financial proposal will not be considered.
(5) Only short-listed candidates will be called for test/interview (if applicable). Any attempt to unduly influence UNICEF’s selection process will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
(6) Joint applications of two or more individuals are not accepted.