Consultant – Lead Rapporteur
Location : New Delhi
Duration : Estimated Fifteen (15) working days during the period
from 13 November 2011 to 13 January 2012
Background: The UN Round Table on Communication for Development (UNRT on C4D) is a biennial gathering of C4D practitioners and experts across UN agencies that aims to demonstrate the power and potential of C4D principles and practice in enhancing and accelerating UN programming efforts. The focus of the XIIth UNRT on C4D will be on Adolescent Girls.
There is well documented evidence indicating that improving the lives of adolescent girls has a catalytic effect on society at large and contributes to poverty alleviation and gender equality and builds the foundation for their future roles and influence in the home, community and society. In the March 2010 UN Joint Statement, the Heads of Agencies committed to working with governments, civil society, communities and adolescent girls and boys on 5 strategic priorities:
1. Education of adolescent girls
2. Improve adolescent girls’ health
3. Keep adolescent girls free from violence
4. Promote adolescent girl leaders
5. Count adolescent girls
Several UN agencies are developing technical papers based on the above that will feed into discussions and recommendations at the UNRT which in turn will feed into UN, government and civil society initiatives. This requires a comprehensive, concise and lively report of the proceedings of the XIIth UNRT on C4D.
Purpose: Under this contract, the consultant will prepare a 25-35 page final report of the XIIth UN Round Table on Communication for Development (C4D). The report will provide the summary of Round Table proceedings, including the synopsis, main findings, conclusions and recommendations. Annexes may include the participants, papers presented at the Round Table, budget for the Round Table and/or other documents.
Specifically, the report will reference: communication initiatives that have shown positive impact in dealing with issues relevant to adolescent girls; key areas and entry points for communication interventions; and, key issues and challenges in the application of C4D methods. The paper will present innovations and lessons learned on communication approaches in this area. All recommendations emanating from the external and internal portions of the UNRT should be included.
Deliverables, Major tasks to be accomplished & Timelines:
|| DUE DATE|
| 1. Draft outline of the UN Round Table report
|| 1. Attend the 4-day UN Round Table on C4D (2-1/2 days external; 1-1/2 days internal). (A pre-briefing will be provided, to be decided with the consultant.)
2. Take detailed notes on the conference sessions, including the synopsis, main findings, conclusions and recommendations of each session
3. Other rapporteurs will be assigned to specific sessions, especially concurrent sessions, by a UNRT Working Group . Lead rapporteur should coordinate with all other rapporteurs, ensuring that every session is covered, and providing guidance as required.
4. Take note of those questions/remarks from the floor which could be of interest for consideration in the session Summary Report, as well as replies from the speakers
5. Consolidate notes from all UNRT rapporteurs
6. Provide summary of main points raised during panel discussions
7. Summarize main points from the opening session and closing session
8. Provide summary of recommendations to the UNRT Working Group made throughout the conference discussion sessions
| 23 November 2011|
| 2. Final UN Round Table Report
|| 9. Develop a draft of the UN Round Table report and submit to UNICEF C4D/GRaCE for comments and feedback within 5 working days of the completion of the UN Round Table. Consolidated comments will be provided to the Rapporteur within 10 working days.
10. Prepare the final UN Round Table report within 3 working days of receiving comments
| 9 December 2011|
Total Consultancy Days- Estimated Fifteen (15) Working Days
Qualifications, experience & skills required:
• Advanced University degree in social sciences and/or communication for development.
• Ten to fifteen years of progressively responsible professional work experience at the national and international levels on development areas with focus on C4D, and adolescent/gender and/or rights issues.
• Experience in adolescent development is desirable.
• Prior experience in writing technical papers and reports; published works an asset
• Knowledge and experience of UNICEF programmes of cooperation and the human rights-based approach to programming. Prior experience of working with UNICEF an asset.
• Strong research and analytical skills.
• Excellent writing skills in English language.
Applications consisting of a covering letter expressing interest, an up-to-date CV (not more than 3 pages), a completed and updated Personal History form (download here ), along with a sample of any written report, write up or publication related to communication and/or adolescent girls’ issues, should be sent to email@example.com within seven days of publication of this advertisement. In order to ensure that your application is sorted correctly, please indicate the following in the subject line of your email
"Consultant Lead Rapporteur, XIIth UN Roundtable on C4D"
UNICEF is a smoke free environment. Qualified women are especially encouraged to apply