hr_top_title_2008

WCARO CÔTE D'IVOIRE: EMERGENCY SUMMARY

© UNICEF/HQ06-2772/Brioni

A community well in Korhogo in northern Côte d’Ivoire was damaged during the current conflict. UNICEF works with a local NGO, Animation rurale de Korhogo, to repair and maintain the well.

CRITICAL ISSUES FOR CHILDREN

The conflict in Côte d'Ivoire has gravely worsened the well-being and livelihood of children and women, particularly in the West and North-West of the country. In these areas, some 10 per cent of under-five children suffer from some form of acute malnutrition and only 60 per cent of the population has access to improved drinking water sources (Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey 2006). Overall, some 70 per cent of the population has access to basic health services, and preventable or easily treated diseases remain the main killers of Ivorian children and women. Almost half (45 per cent) of all school-aged children remain out of school.

PLANNED HUMANITARIAN ACTION FOR 2008

UNICEF is the sector lead for water, sanitation and hygiene and for education. UNICEF-supported relief activities are planned in the areas formerly controlled by the Forces Nouvelles, and more particularly in the most war-affected area, the West, which is also the main area of return of internally displaced persons. Through its humanitarian programmes, UNICEF expects to reach at least 432,000 children and women in 2008.

Health and nutrition: UNICEF will rehabilitate and equip 30 primary health facilities and one regional hospital; procure/distribute essential drugs, therapeutic food and anthropometric and delivery equipment to health centres; support therapeutic feeding centres, and train some 7,600 health staff in several disciplines.

Water, sanitation and hygiene: UNICEF will provide 200,000 people with safe water and sanitation facilities by constructing/rehabilitating wells and sanitary facilities; train 200 local water management teams in water and sanitation management; promote hygiene education and hygiene awareness programmes in 200 local communities.

Education: UNICEF will reach a total of 6,000 war-affected children and their teachers with the following activities: rehabilitate 1,020 classrooms and supply 120 school furniture sets; and train and redeploy approximately 4,400 teachers as well as 2,000 qualified volunteer teachers. UNICEF will ensure that 5,000 children more than nine years old and 100 community teachers benefit from basic school and teacher materials, teachers’ training and the construction of 100 temporary school/classroom structures to accommodate children and teachers in bridging classes.

Child protection: UNICEF will contribute to the protection and reintegration of 1,500 conflict-affected children providing professional kits; undertake awareness-raising and information campaigns; train local NGOs, youth/women’s groups and local protection committees on the prevention of gender-based violence and the response to victims; provide medical, legal and psychosocial assistance to all reported victims of sexual violence.

Summary of UNICEF financial needs for 2008
Sector US$
Health and nutrition 4,102,669
Water, sanitation and hygiene 703,000
Education 8,013,249
Child protection 517,880
Total* 13,336,798

* The total includes a maximum recovery rate of 7 per cent. The actual recovery rate on contributions will be calculated in accordance with UNICEF Executive Board Decision 2006/7 dated 9 June 2006.