If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF, the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, seeks a Representative for Cameroon, responsible for overall development, formulation, conception and management of UNICEF Country Programme of Cooperation.
Under general supervision by the Regional Director, the incumbent will:
•Be responsible for overall development, formulation, conception and management of UNICEF Country Programme of Cooperation (Medium to large size CO), approved by the Executive Board.
•Represent the Executive Director in all aspects of UNICEF's co-operation with the Government/Country Office. Collaborate as part of the UNCT in this regard.
•Be accountable for the formulation and management of the UNICEF Country Programme of Co-operation, as approved by the Executive Board.
•Be accountable for UNICEF's advocacy with the government and other partners for the enhancement of the survival, protection, development and participation of children and women in national development efforts.
•Be responsible for all aspects of office management of the UNICEF country office.
•Support implementation of the UNICEF supported emergency programme, ensuring that the Situation Analysis and EPRP are regularly updated.
•Participate in organizational and institutional initiatives to strengthen UN Coherence. Ensure that joint programming (including joint programmes) and common services are achieved to the extent possible.
•Provide policy support, guidance and advocacy on the development and establishment of common services arrangements agreed to by participating organizations/agencies at the country level. To ensure that these joint operational arrangements, assist UNICEF in its objective to provide efficient and economical support services to the implementation of the country programme.
•Provide policy support, guidance and advocacy as required in emergency situations and other humanitarian programme implementation. Collaborate as part of the UNCT in this regard.
• Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines.
• Ten years of relevant professional work experience. Experience in programme/ projects management and building strategic alliances and partnerships/resource mobilization.
• International and Developing country work experience and field work experience.
• Background/familiarity with Emergency.
• Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
• Integration and synthesis of various programme activities in accordance with professional practices and UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines.
• Expert knowledge of advanced concepts in primary discipline, with a broad knowledge of related disciplines, in-depth knowledge of relevant organizational policies and procedures.
• Building strategic alliances and partnerships/Resource mobilization: leverages the larger resources of national governments and other development partners.
• Fluency in English and another UN language, preferably French.
Cameroon is a country of contradictions. Although middle income, child and maternal mortality rates remain high, access to potable water and sanitation services remain key development challenges. Strides have been made in expanding access to basic education.
UNICEF has been working with the Government and other development partners to improve child survival, enhance quality and access to basic education, expand HIV prevention, ensure implementation of child protection and support policy capacity development.
• Fluency in French is absolute along with a very good knowledge and level in English.
• Capacity to effectively participate in the DPs and Government dialogue structures and to represent UNICEF in the various SWAps and sector coordination fora.
• Ability to establish and maintain high level contacts with the country's decision and policy-makers, including the head of state, as well as with representatives of donors, and other external aid agencies present in the country.
• Capacity to ensure visibility for children, with focus on gender issues, with excellent communication/representation skills.
• Strong, politically-influenced development environment which requires astute political analysis and diplomatic skills, plus the ability to clearly articulate the human rights mission of UNICEF.
• Previous experience as a Representative, preferably in an integrated mission environment with a strong policy and advocacy record with the host government, member states, and the UN system.
• Capacity to ensure visibility for children, with focus on gender issues, with excellent communication / representation skills.
Applications will be considered only if accompanied by an updated CV and P11 form, as well as the two most recent PERs/Evaluations. Regret letters will only be sent to shortlisted candidates.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates are requested to please submit a cover letter, CV, signed P11 form, two most recent PERs/Evaluations to recruit.SSR@unicef.org with subject line “Representative Cameroon, P-5, Yaounde, Cameroon” by 21 June 2013.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.