If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF, the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, seeks a Regional Director, D-2, in its Regional Office for West and Central Africa in Dakar, Senegal.
The Regional Director is accountable for the overall success of the UNICEF-assisted programmes of cooperation in the region.
The Regional Director advises and assists the Executive Director and the Deputy Executive Directors on matters relating to global policy formulation and implementation under the broad policy guidelines. Represents the Executive Director vis-a-vis institutions of a regional character within and outside the United Nations system.
The Regional Director provides oversight for UNICEF's work and management in the region, providing direction, leadership and guidance to country offices to ensure the achievement of organizational mission, strategy, goals and objectives.
• Advanced university degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, Economics, Public Information, Media, Communication, HR, Financial Management, Business or Public Administration, or other relevant disciplines to UNICEF’s work.
• Fifteen years of professional work experience with increasing responsibility in formulation of policy in international or national administration; experience in external aid administration desirable; 12 years of working experience in developing countries.
• Experience as a UNICEF Representative highly desirable.
• Experience/familiarity with emergency and security.
• Good knowledge of international relations, international technical cooperation programmes, programme administration, and project management in the UN context.
• Good knowledge of current trends, issues, programme modality, policies, principles, and practices of the technical cooperation activities related to UNICEF’s work.
• Thorough understanding of UNICEF programme policies, goals and strategies, guidelines and approaches.
• Expertise to formulate vision, exercise leadership, and communicate effectively throughout the organization and the UN system.
• Expertise to deploy public relations and enhance UNICEF’s image in the public and with governments in the Region.
• Expertise to deploy networking and to build alliances with all relevant regional networks and organizations, such as donors, NGOs, institutions, mass media and the film industry for fundraising and special events.
• Thorough knowledge of UNICEF’s financial regulations, rules and fundraising strategy. Expertise to develop, cultivate and manage effective HR and work environment.
• Previous experience as a Representative highly desirable.
• Blend of experience in headquarters, regional and field postings an asset.
• Fluency in English and French
• highly developed diplomatic and negotiation skills
• highly developed communication and public relations skills
• highly developed strategic analyses skills
• highly developed management skills
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.