1. Eliminate all forms of discrimination against the girl-child.
- Ratify and implement the Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Ensure that a child is registered immediately after birth and has the right from birth to a name, to acquire a nationality and to know and be cared for by her or his parents
- Eliminate injustice and obstacles in relation to inheritance faced by the girl child
o Ensure that marriage is entered into with free and full consent of both parties
o Enact and strictly enforce laws on the minimum legal age of consent and minimum age for marriage and raise the minimum age of marriage where necessary
- Promote and protect the full enjoyment of girls’ human rights and ensure equal opportunities for girls
- Disaggregate by sex and age all data related to children
2. Eliminate negative cultural attitudes and practices against girls.
- Promote changes in negative attitudes and practices towards girls
- Develop programmes to sensitize and inform adults about the harmful effects of certain traditional or customary practices (son preference, prenatal sex selection, female infanticide, discrimination against girls in food allocation, child marriage, violence against girls, female genital mutilation/cutting, on girls
o Improve, through the education of girls, their later opportunities in field in which they are underrepresented such as mathematics, science and technology
o Eliminate all barriers to the schooling of married and/or pregnant girls and young mothers
- Encourage education institutions and the media to project balanced and non-stereotypical images of girls and boys, eliminate child pornography and degrading and violent portrayals of girls
3. Promote and protect the rights of the girl-child and increase awareness of her needs and potential.
- Empower and inform girls with regard to their rights under all international human rights instruments
- Raise awareness among policy makers, planners, administrators, women, men, boys and girls of the situation of girls and education them to promote girls’ status and mutual respect and equal partnership among girls and boys
- Facilitate the equal provision of services and devices to girls with disabilities