Gender Specialist - Temporary Appointment - Addis Ababa - 20 November 2013
POST TITLE: Gender Specialist
DUTY STATION: Addis Ababa
Contract Status : Temporary Appointment (TA)
Closing date: 20 November 2013
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, is inviting applications for this position.
PURPOSE OF THE POST
Under the guidance of the chief of Nutrition and Food Security, the incumbent supports mainstreaming gender in nutrition and WASH programs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POST INCLUDE:
• Review and finalize the action plan to mainstream gender in the nutrition and WASH programme and come up with specific activities to be included in the Annual work plans of the different governments sectors
• Disseminate findings of the gender audit and gender analysis survey along with the action plans to pertinent organizations, prepare micro plan involving these partners and provide technical support to implement prioritized activities.
• Identify the capacity building gaps of the different sectors and support undertaking of tailor made trainings
• Develop criterion and prepare gender equity score for Dutch and CIDA supported WASH & Nutrition programs Provide guidance for woreda WASH /Nutrition team to capacitate Capacity building for women at community level to effectively participate as decision-makers
• Conduct and report on Gender sensitization training for UNICEF staff and government partners. Serve as a secretary for a gender team comprising gender experts from RiPPLE, SNV, UNICEF WASH, UNICEF Nutrition and pertinent government partners
• Facilitate discussion and agreements to ensure Woreda (district) WASH teams to have Women’s Development Officer as key member
• Conduct community dialogue to address gender equality and women’s empowerment issues in all CIDA and Dutch supported Woredas – with both women and men
• Define the strategy and forge linkages between the community based nutrition programme and the Women’s Development Army (HDA) for community mobilization and BCC, with particular focus on women’s empowerment
• Follow up of the implementation of the proposed activities and documentation of the best practices in mainstreaming gender in programmes
• Produce quarterly progress reports and annual report on gender sensitive nutrition and WASH program for UNICEF and the Donors
• Integrate a gender lens on all studies and evaluations undertaken by Nutrition and WASH sections
• Strengthen the Nutrition and WASH programme strategies including intermediate results and indicators from a gender perspective
• Support the WASH and Nutrition sections on the effective application of the Gender Equality Marker (GEM) by the section
Education requirements: Advanced university degree in social sciences and particularly with a gender focus. Additional qualifications in Nutrition of public health are added value. (*A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Work Experience: Seven years of progressively responsible professional work experience in Gender programming. An excellent meeting facilitation, communication and negotiation skill is advantageous.
Language requirement: Fluency in English and knowledge of the local working language of the duty station.
Nationality: Candidates should be nationals of Ethiopia.
Competencies: Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity, Communication , Working with People, Drive for Result, Functional Competencies, Leading and Supervising, Formulating Strategies and Concepts , Analyzing, Relating and Networking, Persuading and Influencing, Creating and Innovating.
Applications must include motivation letter, an updated CV, and a completed UN Personal History Form (P-11) available at goo.gl/9mvar
Please DO NOT ATTACH COPIES OF TRANSCRIPTS, ACADEMIC DEGREES OR RECOMMENDATION LETTERS WITH THE APPLICATION.
UNICEF and UN candidates must also include two recent Performance Evaluation Reports.
Please deliver/send your application to: Human Resources Manager, UNICEF-Ethiopia, Opposite ECA Compound, Adjacent to German House, P.O. Box 1169, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications from qualified women are encouraged. Only short listed candidates will be contacted