International partnerships: H&M
All children have rights which should be respected, protected and fulfilled to ensure they can grow and reach their potential.Conventions on the Rights ofthe Child.
UNICEF believes that offering children quality education is the best way to help them realize their full potential. Quality education is the best way to help children reach their full potential. UNICEF is dedicated to ensuring that all children - regardless of gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic background or circumstances - realize their right to a quality education. In many developing countries, however, children are engaged in hazardous or exploitative labour and cannot go to school.
- H&M is committed to protecting children's rights and, in partnership with UNICEF since 2004, has been supporting educational and other programmes for millions of children in Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Madagascar and Uzbekistan. H&M has so far contributed U$ 15 million to UNICEF's work in those countries.
- H&M is currenty supporting a five-year UNICEF programme (2009-2014) in the Salem and Dharmapuri districts of Tamil Nadul, India, where children form a significant percentage of the workforce in cotton fields. They work long hours in hazardous conditions and are being denied educational opportunities that would be taken for granted in developed countries. The programme - called 'All for Children' - supports those from vulnerable families and/or working in cotton fields and other areas. The programme is funded through a US$ 4.5 million donation from H&M and aims to reach 1.7 million children.
- In 2012, the 'All for Children' programme will be extended to Bangladesh through a US$ 8 million donation from H&M over a six year period (2012-2018). The programme will target 40,000 children between 3-14 years of age. Its goal is to improve access to quality early learning, pre-primar education, basic primary education, basic life skills and socia protection services.
- H&M has also supporte UNICEF's humanitarian efforts on major emergencis like the 2004 tsunami in South East Asia, the 2010 severe flooding in Pakistan and earthquake in Haiti, and the 2011-2012 drought and famine in the Horn of Africa.
- Through this partnership, H&M is supporting UNICEF's efforts to create a protective environment for children and is making a long-lasting impact on their lives.
Bag 1: December 5, 2009|