Update on the Flood Situation in Romania.
The counties affected are: Galati, Bistrita Nasaud, Maramures, Salaj, Arad, Hunedoara, Timis, Mures, and Alba.
According to a report by the Romanian Ministry of Administration and Interior, on June 23, 2006 the situation in the flooded areas in Northern Romania is as follows:
Deceased persons: 7
The breakdown of people displaced is the following:
County Number of displaced people
The Government’s and local authorities’ response:
• The local authorities of the Bistrita Nasaud northern county and the staff of the Ministry of Administration and Interior (experts with the County Inspectorate for Emergency Situations, gendarmes, policemen and soldiers) have been mobilized to help the population in the areas affected by the latest floods.
• The rescue teams have helped the persons in need. Search for the missing people and attempt to restrain the effects of the floods are continuing. Access ways are being cleared of the wood carried by torrents.
• The local authorities led by the Prefect sent bread and water in the affected area.
• The Prime Minister and the Minister of Administration and the Interior assured the Prefects in the counties affected by torrential rains in the past few days that the Government was going to help the affected families and to rehabilitate the infrastructure.
• According to the Prime Minister, the Government's priorities are to secure accommodation for the homeless families, to rebuild the infrastructure and to connect them to telephony networks, electricity and to distribute the most needed aid consisting of food and money.