Request for proposals - Analysis of the children and family’s needs in the area of social welfare
Analysis of the children and family’s needs in the area of social welfare in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH) and Brcko District (BD)
Under the Project “Strengthening the Social Protection and Inclusion System for Children in Bosnia and Herzegovina“, UNICEF BiH aims at contributing to the protection and social inclusion of children. In this context, UNICEF is seeking to engage an agency/individual to conduct comprehensive Analysis of the children and family’s needs in the area of social welfare in the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina (FBiH) and Brcko District (BD).
Under the overall supervision of the Social Policy Specialist, and in coordination with the relevant representatives of the FBiH entity and cantonal institutions, and BD, the institutional / individual Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
1. Desk review - Review and analyze available statistics and the legal framework in the area of social protection and social inclusion, with a focus on social welfare services for children and families.
2. Develop a methodology for quantitative and qualitative analysis to support the ongoing reform initiatives in FBiH and BD (defining research sample for quantitative household study and design of a questionnaires for a qualitative study), as follows:
a) Quantitative research of the needs of children and families in the area of social welfare (e.g. household survey);
b) Qualitative research based on the views of professionals employed with social welfare centers about the needs of children and families related to social welfare. This could be done through non- structured and semi-structured interviews with social welfare workers and representatives of management in social welfare centers. If necessary, focus group discussions can be organized or alternative methods.
3. Amend the methodology based on comments received from the authorities/institutions, UNICEF and other stakeholders, and submit a final version.
4. Carry out qualitative and quantitative research aimed at obtaining substantial reliable information in support to reform processes;
5. Prepare a draft analytical quality report with findings and recommendations related to: a) the improvement of the legal framework for the provision of social welfare services for children and families in FBiH, at the entity level (including cantons) as well as Brčko District, based on evidence collected ;b) the steps to be implemented at each level (entity, cantonal and municipal),to strengthen social welfare services in the FBiH and BD, in light of the ongoing reform processes;
6. Share draft findings and recommendations (e.g. during public discussions with representatives of the Government at entity and cantonal level, and the UN & NGO sector)
7. Amend the report based on comments received from the authorities/institutions, UNICEF and other stakeholders, and submit a final quality report.
8. Provide technical assistance and organize briefings/seminars for government partners on the developed methodology, findings and recommendations.
The Institutional / Individual Consultant should have knowledge and experience in:
• Advanced degree in social sciences, economy or law
• Institutional bidders must be registered as a commercial or non-profit organisations
specialized and experienced in the development of similar analyses:
• Minimum 5 years of work experience in conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis related to social
welfare, social protection and/or social inclusion;
• Knowledge of BiH political situation;
• Excellent analytical and narrative skills;
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
• Strong planning and organisational skills;
• Good knowledge of the English language;
• Knowledge of the BiH national languages is an asset;
• Experience in the Western Balkans is an asset;
• Previous experience with the UN is an asset.
Potential bidders should submit bidding documentation consisting of:
• Motivation letter confirming understanding of the ToR
• Detailed list of proposed activities, including the proposed timeframe
• Description of previously implemented similar activities including a reference list
• CVs of all involved consultants and team members or individual CVs
• Budget with narrative proposal in BAM
• Copy of the registration documents of the agency
Proposals and budgets should be submitted in English language.
The proposals should be sent to:
71 000 Sarajevo
The proposals should be delivered in two separate sealed envelopes (one on the technical part and one on the budget; writing contact information-name, address and contact telephone numbers at the back of the envelope) by 15th August 2012 at 5 p.m., with the remark: Proposals no.001/12 under the Project “Strengthening the Social Protection and Inclusion System for Children in Bosnia and Herzegovina“.
In accordance with UNICEF Rules and Regulations the award and the reasons for making the award are UNICEF's internal decision and no information about other bidders or their bids must not be divulged. All bidders will be invited for a public opening of the bids.
For further information please contact Ms. Selma Kazic
UNICEF accepts no responsibility for undelivered proposals, and will not accept proposals after the closing date and time.