UNICEF Azerbaijan seeks an implementing agency to conduct a study on the preferred channels of communication used in Azerbaijan
UNICEF Azerbaijan seeks an implementing agency to conduct a study on the preferred channels of communication used in
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Study on the preferred channels of communication used in Azerbaijan
1. Background and justification
For UNICEF Azerbaijan the issue of communication and advocacy is central, especially as organization embarks on a new country programme (2005-2009) with renewed focus on supporting the government of
As part of its communication efforts to strengthen advocacy and fundraising activities, organization aims at engaging with wider range of policy makers with the objective of impacting the policy making environment and influencing the views of key policy-makers and opinion-formers, including high level government officials, parliamentarians, leaders in the private sector and media with a view to leveraging government funds for programming for children.
The total population to be covered is about 3,042,200 individuals, including persons of 7-23 years of age, nationwide, and those of 24-29 years of age, in
One of the main challenges in the design of effective communication for the MR campaign is to identify the optimal contexts, channels, content, and reasons that will motivate people to pay attention to and use health-related information.
The main objective of the upcoming social mobilization is to encourage healthy behaviors, create awareness, change attitudes, and motivate individuals to adopt recommended behaviors (get immunization in this particular case).
In so doing for UNICEF Azerbaijan, it is important to reach different groups with appropriate information and messages through various channels of communications.
As a result, an assessment of the existing channels, access of different population groups to such channels, and identification of the correct channels to reach the different population groups is necessary.
Research indicates that effective health promotion and communication initiatives adopt an audience-centered perspective, which means that promotion and communication activities reflect audiences’ preferred formats, channels, and contexts.
The results of such a study in its turn will guide and inform UNICEF advocacy in the country.
Therefore, UNICEF Azerbaijan would like to identify a consultant/consultants in order to undertake a study to ensure that proper communication channels are identified for the dissemination of messages during the MR campaign in 2006, as well as other communication activities.
2. Use of consultancy by UNICEF
UNICEF Azerbaijan office commissions a study on preferred channels of communication among the population of
Thereafter the information gathered will be used to generate awareness of situation of children in
3. Objectives of the consultancy
The overall objective is to determine the most effective communication channels in use for community information and mobilization.
It also seeks to assess what are the preferences in terms of receiving information with breakdown by age groups.
- Design the questionnaire for collecting the information;
- Develop the study design and methodology;
- Analyze the data collected;
- Produce a final report including specific recommendations for UNICEF interventions.
The key assignments for the job were outlined as follows:
- To identify and to prepare a list of the existing and most commonly used communication channels in Azerbaijan
· A complete results of the study should be presented to UNICEF Azerbaijan
· Deadline for the delivery of the output is
- Post-graduate university degree;
- Minimum 5 years experience in research, data collection and analysis;
- Strong background in social researches with emphasis on human and child rights;
- Good English writing skills;
- Good analytical and communication skills.
7. Reporting procedure/Supervision
The consultant shall report to UNICEF Azerbaijan Communication Officer and to Program and Planning Officer. During the assignment period, the consultant will be work closely with the Program Coordinator.
8. Duration of the Assignment
The duration of this assignment is 30 days, within the period of November 28 –
The payment will be effected after satisfactory completion of the assignment.
10. Condition of Work
· Researchers will work and travel throughout the country extensively. They should provide own equipment (computers, tape recorders, etc.)