Major tasks to be accomplished:
1. Research will consist of two parts: I).The Baseline Survey will be undertaken to identify the awareness level of target groups (school children, teachers, parents and local authorities), their understanding and involvement in disaster preparedness disaster risk reduction activities in their schools and communities. II) The Impact Survey will be undertaken to measure the impact of the project, i.e. to capture the success (or failure) of activities undertaken in selected areas in Azerbaijan within DIPECHO 2 project.
In general, this study, through the two surveys will explore the following:
- The awareness level of the target groups on disasters caused by natural hazards, dangers attached to them as well as their capacities to take actions before, during and after the occurrence of disasters.
- Identification of ongoing activities on raising awareness of target groups on disasters caused by natural hazards as well as on disaster risk reduction and preparedness trainings.
- Existing situation related to disaster risk reduction and disaster preparedness in schools, families and communities in selected regions.
- Level of cooperation between the schools, communities, local- and regional-level authorities and Ministries in the area of disaster risk reduction and disaster preparedness.
- Identification of the assistance provided to schools by communities, local- and regional-level authorities and Ministries in the area of disaster risk reduction and disaster preparedness.
- Study existing practices of establishing and operating disaster management and disaster preparedness teams in schools in targeted regions.
The following list of questions and issues should be considered for the baseline and end-of-project surveys:
a. Hazards and risks awareness and knowledge
a.1 All natural hazards posing a threat to schools have been identified;
a.2 Risks related to natural hazards are regularly assessed and updated by the local authorities;
a.3 Children, teachers and administrative personnel in schools are aware of risks related to natural hazards.
b Systems, procedures and skills
b.1 A system of regular maintenance of school exists, including technical and financial inputs;
b.2 A dedicated structure/focal point exists within the school for the review and implementation of disaster management, including for example identification of safe locations, implementation of drills, warden system, clearly marked emergency exits, establishment emergency procedures and protocols, etc.;
b.3 A school disaster preparedness plan exists and is regularly updated;
b.4 Disaster preparedness drills/emergency simulation exercises are held regularly to practice and improve skills and plans;
b.5 Existence of emergency coordination modalities and procedures between schools and local authorities, including police, fire department, medical centre, etc.
c. Non-structural safety
c.1 The vulnerability of existing school buildings has been assessed with respect to local hazards;
c.2 School furniture (desks, boards, shelves, etc.) and exits, windows have been organized/set up in a way that minimizes potential harm to their occupants.
Initial survey methodology, including but not limited to data collection methods, sampling techniques, data processing and analyzing techniques, and method of data analysis will be presented by the research organization in the submitted proposal. Data analysis should cover at least three areas, i.e. i) awareness /knowledge of disasters caused by natural hazards, ii) awareness of disaster risk reduction and disaster preparedness in school, family and community, and iii) awareness /knowledge of actions to be undertaken before, during and after disasters. It is expected that the research organization will develop, negotiate and receive approval of the detailed survey methodology during participatory consultations with UNICEF CO Azerbaijan, Ministry of Education and Ministry of Emergency Situations.
1. To develop a Methodology of the Survey, sampling techniques, interviewing methods, methods of data collection, data processing and data analysis;
2. To develop a questionnaire for interviewing teachers, school children, parents and local authorities on disaster risk reduction.
3. To conduct baseline study among teachers, school children, parents and local authorities and develop analytical report.
4. To conduct Final Assessment among teachers, school children, parents and local authorities and develop a Report which compares data and information between pilot schools and general schools against the data obtained in the baseline study.
5. The data and information collected along with the report are expected to be presented by the Research organization at the stakeholder meeting in Baku.
Target groups of this assignment will be (1) schoolchildren of 7 – 13 years old, (2) schoolchildren of ages 14 – 18, (3) teachers of schools, (4) parents and (5) local authorities. In this respect, the research organization will adopt the survey methodology and present different data collection methods/tools to reflect the differences of these five target groups.
The primary audience for this study is Ministry of Education, Ministry of Emergency Situations, , policy makers in Azerbaijan, as well as UNICEF, EC ECHO and other partners. The documentation and exploration of issues related to the knowledge, opportunities and challenges of the use of DRR and disaster preparedness in education should be of wider applicability to the whole country and to the region as well.
The research organization will be expected to participate at two one-day workshops organized by UNICEF CO Azerbaijan exploring issues and findings from the study with a group of policymakers and practitioners in Azerbaijan in 2013.