If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. UNICEF, the world’s leading organization working for the rights of children, seeks a Consultant to document significant child care reform work being done at country-level in four African countries.
Purpose: Please see Terms of Reference
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate skills in the following areas:
• Master’s degree in social science, social policy or related field.
• At least 8 years of experience in social welfare particularly relating to child welfare; 5 years in reviewing projects for research purposes
• The ability to conduct in-depth analysis of emerging trends and historic evidence-based research
• High level of understanding of current issues relevant to vulnerable children, including child protection systems, and international development
• High level of understanding of care and care reform, including application of the UN Guidelines on Alternative Care, understanding of current research and research questions on care
• A working knowledge of programming in international contexts with family strengthening, alternative care, family reunification, and adoption
• Proven ability to assess and analyse information from various sources
• Fluency in written and spoken English , fluency in French is an asset
• Excellent report writing skills in English
• Proven ability to work with policy makers, practitioners and social welfare clients.
• Successful work experience in an international environment, including experience in sub-Saharan Africa
• PhD in a relevant field
• National or regional experience in Africa in advocacy, policy and research
Travel: Travel is required to all four countries. The rest of the work is to be done at the consultant’s home.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are requested to submit a cover letter, CV and signed P11 form along with a draft methodology for the assignment, to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Care Country Profiles” by 7 October 2012 . Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate to undertake the terms of reference above. Applications submitted without a daily (or monthly) rate will not be considered.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.